Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1982 brat w/EA 81 1 BBL Weber swap to 2 Bbl hitachi

I looked around the forum a bit and saw people mentioning the swap and SPFI but, I just want to verify, If I want to get rid of the 2 bbl weber can I just buy the Hitachi manifold and 2 bbl carb from an 80's something EA81 engine and put it on without changing anything else?

I looked around the forum a bit and saw people mentioning the swap and SPFI but, I just want to verify, If I want to get rid of the 2 bbl weber can I just buy the Hitachi manifold and 2 bbl carb from an 80's something EA81 engine and put it on without changing anything else?

I saw your other post and I think what you are asking is about swapping a 2 barrel Hitachi on for the 1 barrel CARTER-WEBER (not the same as the weber you hear talk of on this board). Basically the answer is yes, you can swap the hitachi and manifold on for the ones you have now, I would think you would want to use one from an ea81 without an ECU.

Most people here will tell you if you are going to go through the trouble of doing what you suggest, put a weber 32/36 dgv on it instead of the hitachi. You will still need the hitachi manifold. It is a better carb and you will love it. The hitachi is better than the one barrel, but in the long run is just as problematic in my opinion. there are tons of threads on here about the weber swap.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I went to rebuild my carb, realized it was the one barrel and that I an't find parts for it and now I'm just searching for an inexpensive option that will be reliable(I wasn't liking the one barrel anyways, kept causing stalls in left hand turns. Why do you say the hitachi is as bad as the one barrel? It seems most places I read it was pretty good. Are there carbs from other vehicles that fit the 1bbl manifold that would be better?

• Like 1

The 2 bbl hitachi is good. It is not the dog that your 1 bbl is. But these are 30 year old carbs. A hitachi carb has twice as many parts as a weber. If you put on a 30 year old hitachi, you will eventually have problems sooner or later. If you are looking at rebuilding one, weber is way easier for a carb that will give you better power (it is VERY noticable) . A rebuilt hitachi will cost you nearly as much as a weber. Nothing wrong with a hitachi but a weber is better. look around at all the weber threads on this board.

here's a front view of the weber manifold. hose on the right (as you view in this pic) goes to the pcv valve. it is split as you see. One hose goes to the air cleaner (the small one that disapears behind the carb). the other fat one goes to valve cover (the one that disappears out the right side of photo). did that make sense?

IMG_0368_zps5f9b5487.jpg

Edited by the sucker king

most of the cleaner assemblies I think have one fairly large hole in the base plate. I drilled a second one for the other side. You might be able to just tee off and use just the one hole, I don't know . The pcv system is meant to flow properly when everything is hooked up (one side the valve cover is pumping air out, the other side taking it in). I didn't know if teeing the two valve covers would keep it from flowing right, so I drilled the second hole to be safe because that would mimic the original set-up.

most of the cleaner assemblies I think have one fairly large hole in the base plate. I drilled a second one for the other side. You might be able to just tee off and use just the one hole, I don't know . The pcv system is meant to flow properly when everything is hooked up (one side the valve cover is pumping air out, the other side taking it in). I didn't know if teeing the two valve covers would keep it from flowing right, so I drilled the second hole to be safe because that would mimic the original set-up.

Yeah you use the one factory air cleaner hole/fitting on the Weber air cleaner.  The hose that comes off that fitting goes to a tee fitting that has a full size orifice on the passenger side and a roughly half size orifice on the drivers side.  It mimics the two nipples on the stock air cleaner to provide the vacuum/pressure differential that causes the flow.  I sold all my Webered ea81s or I would post a picture.  I always got my tee-fittings in the HELP section of the auto parts store of choice, they are very common.

I don't know if this link will get you to the right page but I am pretty sure it's part #47156.  The description says it's made of steel, but if you look at the picture it's definitely plastic. 

http://www.dormanproducts.com/gsearch.aspx?type=keyword&q=tee+hose+connector

Edited by ferox

you can just put a breather cap on the passenger side as well.  its just an air inlet but you want it filtered to keep out the crud.  run it to your air cleaner or put the breather cap on, they both do the same thing.

Not really

The stock system is designed to induce air flow through the crankcase (PCV).  A breather cap doesn't do that (CV).  PCV is better than CV because it removes combustion by-products from the crankcase better and manages the oil smoke/fumes that inevitably come out of the breather caps.

Forgive me but i just scanned through this really fast.  I did the swap from one barrel carter-weber to two barrel hitachi and then to the two barrel 32/36 weber and i can say if i did it all over again i would just skip the hitachi and go right to the two barrel weber.  Much better carb and easier to tune not to mention its not 30 years old in most cases.  You will still need the hitachi manifold but once you have that your golden.