Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I've posted recently about my trials with a 99' OBW right rear wheel bearing, a broken ABS tone ring and and axle circlip inside of the diff.

So now I'm finally on the ez installation half of the project when I only need a torque wrench and not a can of PB Blaster, a torch and a 3 foot cheater bar.

Just one thing. 

The circlip was retained in the rear when the original axle came out. When I put the replacement axle back into the rear it won't lock in! It just won't lock into the axle groove. I can slide it way too easily.

I fit the original back in and got the same result.

I can see the ring is still in the groove. It's not broken but I wonder if it got damaged somehow.

Or is it possible that I knocked the receiving diff gear back a bit when I tried to "tap" in an axle that had too few splines??

Crap.

I'm going to see how it'll work with it like that.

What's the worst that can happen???

Edited by PAJ

The axle could be forced out while driving, and the splines chewed off the end of the axle stub and out of the side gear in the diff.

Then you need a new diff too.

How far in does the new axle go? Does the dust shield slide right up to the diff housing? If it still has a small gap I'd try giving it a bit more oomph to get it to go that last click. Axles often need a "love" tap to get them fully seated anyway so I dont think giving it a few whacks would have done any harm before. Unless your whacker was an 8lb sledge or something.

It bottoms out just like....well... it bottoms out.

I wouldn't say an 8 punder but a 5 pounder for a few times before I regained my sanity.

I started to get educated in the U-Pull it yard by playing around with looes axles and bearings lying around. All of the axles I tested snapped in and out of joint like clockwork, regardless of whether the circlips were on the axle or in the diff.

I'll love tap the axle like you suggested. If that doesn't make it I'll stick my clean little prybar in there and see if it has play and if it'll give back a scosh or something like that.

Maybe in the end I'll finally learn everything about Subie differentials.

Here comes that puke feeling again.....

Even without a clip at all the axle will stay in place.

There isn't enough travel in the stock suspension to extend the axle to where it would pull out.

I know because I've stuck an old EA rear stub into a newer Legacy diff and hooked up an older leagcy axle to it.

No clip, and no roll pin.......on a wheeler.......it all stays.

Thanx G,

Now that you mention it I can see that when it's all slapped together there's inward pressure on the axle and so it and it should stay put under normal circumstances. Now I can wonder if I knocked that diff gear outa joint and about getting dirt in the diff if the axle occasionally pulls out a millimeter or so.

I was planning to finish up this evening while there was lght but had to do grave digger duty for a dead cat.

It's always sumthin.

Edited by PAJ

It's alive!

A few rotations of the axle and love taps with the 5 lb gizinta on the end were all it took to lock er back in. It took longer to find my old drum brake tool than to slap everything back together and run her down the road. It's nice to once again hear only the faminiar differential hum back there.

Thanks again.