Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Got 2005 Legacy Temp gauge question ?

Hi ALL!

I just bought a used (134K miles ) 2005 Legacy Wgn about a month ago.

Got it off an Ex-Subee mechanic. He did the Head Gaskets, Timing belt, Cat. anyhow.

As I live with the car now, I think the Temp gauge is strange, I'm used to all the other Subee's I've had, the Temp gauge reaches Operating temp, then just sits there, doesn't move, unless there is a problem.

This car IS different.... it slowly makes it to it's normal, it does give off heater heat fast, and hot, so no problem there. But it does fluctuate, it's normal position lets say is just a hair above the middle, after I've driven the car I've seen it move down to below half, and of course the position I don't like, is maybe 3 clicks above half, but it does come back down. So the question is, is this NORMAL for these PZEV engines? or what gives? It DOESN'T overheat !

THANKS, SubeeTed

The basic operation of the cooling system hasn't changed any. Possible the guage is more sensitive in the newer cars.

Make sure the coolant level is full.

It could have an aftermarket thermostat in it. Might check that since it will cause problems down the road. Drain the coolant into a clean container and you can reuse it.