Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Unsure of clutch cover to bell offset alignment

clutch install

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 murfmv

murfmv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • vineyard haven ma

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:34 AM

I read in All Data site and have confirmed it online that one is supposed to make the zero marks on flywheel and clutch cover be approx. 120 degrees apart. There is only 3 places that the housing can be placed because of the alignment pin.  I was unable to discern any mark on the new clutch housing indicating a zero. Any ideas?

#2 murfmv

murfmv

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • vineyard haven ma

Posted 10 January 2014 - 08:36 AM

Sorry I meant to say alignment between clutch cover and flywheel 

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,521 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:42 AM

If the cover can be installed in more than one way, then it doesn't matter. They generally recommend re-installing a cover in the same orientation to the flywheel if you need to remove it for some reason other than to replace the clutch. This is so that any wear of the components does not throw off the balance of the assembly. In this case you would just make a mark on each and reinstall with the marks lined up.
If installing an all new clutch and cover plate, then it doesn't matter because the parts are balanced individually, and ideally you would have the flywheel resurfaced which should work out any imbalance. Most machinists re-check and adjust balance after machining a flywheel.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users