Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Maintenance While Engine Is Out

So I talked to the owner of my favorite junkyard... in exchange for me spending my spare days at the yard, covering the phone so he gets to go out and do whatever he wants to, I get a free chassis and parts :clap:. We haven't worked out exactly how many days equals the chassis, but I doubt he's too worried about it... he seemed rather enjoyed just to be able to get out from behind the desk. The only other Subaru on the lot is an '88 GL wagon that they're donating to a "Race For The Blind" or something like that... looks like it's been sitting for a good three years or so, with no parts removed, and a running engine. Seems Subaru's aren't in high demand...:-\

Anyhow, I figure I'm going to pull my engine, and swap it into the '94 chassis. The 3at that's in it is going to be replaced with my 5spd pushbutton, or a D/R if I can find one. That '88 has one that seems in working order... depending on what kind of condition it's in after this race, I might just use it.

Anyway, while I've got my engine out, I figured I'd perform the following maintenance on it. Keep in mind that she's got 226k on her. LIfters are getting knocky, and it has a funky intermittent idle problem (occasionally wants to swing the idle between 700 & 1,300 rpm's, and the idle air control valve adjustments I made yesterday to it didn't want to change the idle speed at all). Oil pressure is starting to go south on it, too... used to run about 50 psi going down the highway, now it's about 35. Some of the maintenance I figure is needed, some of it's "while I've got the engine out..."

1. Pull the oil pump, and inspect it, replacing if necessary.

2. Replace the oil pump gasket regardless.

3. Water pump inspection, and replace the seal.

4. Rear main seal.

5. Oil pan gasket.

6. Timing belts (no clue when it was changed last... :-\ )

7. Timing belt idlers.

8. Thermostat.

9. Replace the mechanical fan with a second electrical, hopefully with a temp sensor & manual override switch.

Advance had a couple wierd timing belt cover gaskets/seals that had me confused a bit. Apparently, they're selling a gasket, and dust seal, too. Do I need both?

I'd like to swap out the clutch & related parts while I'm in there, but Advance was asking anywhere from $208 to $245 for a clutch kit (5 piece). I'm thinking I might want to inspect the various pieces, and replace as necessary... going with remanufactured if I can.

The other obvious tune-up stuff will be done, too... filters, plugs, wires, that sorta thing.

The engine in the '94 has around 100k on it, if I remember right, and runs... though it seems to leak oil like a sieve. Mine might be a bit more worn at 226k, but she doesn't burn the oil... so I'm going to stick with it. Just to be on the safe side, should I bother to get the compression tested on both engines, and go with whichever one's more consistent &/or stronger? It'd mean

Any recommendations on brand names for the gaskets, too?

If I end up swapping out the clutch, I figure I ought to get the flywheel resurfaced... what should I expect to pay for it?

I haven't had any problems with water in the oil or vice versa, but should I replace the head gaskets while I've got it out?

TIme shouldn't be a problem... I can take up to two weeks off of work, but I'd like to keep it limited to one week. All of this will happen probably mid to late June, depending on finances & arranging the time off work. One week, working 9-5, ought to be enough to get all this work done, given the right tools, enough determination, & enough coffee, right? :D

Gotta get a set of manuals, too... should I hunt down a copy of the FSM's, or should I be able to get by with a copy of Chilton's or Hayne's and the search function on the USMB?

Thanks guys :cool: