Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Backup light switch 2000 Outback Automatic Transmission

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't some up with an answer. 

I have the automatic tranny.  I have power at the backup light bulbs - both wires (which says the ground is bothered), so I was wanting to check the backup switch, thinking it provides the completion of the circuit by grounding.  Bulbs and fuses are all good.

I can come up with a backup switch from aftermarket parts, but it is apparently for a manual transmission.  The parts store tells me there is no distinction between manual and automatic trannies by their reference material.  On my transmission it looks like there are two electrical components held in place by nylon flanges with retainer bolts - about 10 mm.  One of those is on the drivers side at the rear of the tranny and the other on top of the transmission, also near the rear.

My question is - where is the switch located on the automatic transmission and does it complete the circuit for the lights by grounding?

As always, appreciate the help.

Thanks for the response.

I have power and no ground and no light.  I had two broken  wires at the hinge in the connector with no license light or taillight on the trunk lid.  The two wires intact were a black and a black with red stripe.  The two broken were a light brown and a white. 

I must have reversed them when I put the connector back together.  The wires were broken back inside without any insulation left on the short side.

I did get the license light and the tailight on with the reassembly - those come on/off with the headlights. Now I just have the backup light not working - which I noticed later.   I assume the power to the license light and the taillight woud come through the same wire.  The power to the backup would obviously come through another wire since the switch isn't for grounding.

Would the backup light ground through a different wire than those two?  I do have a four pin connector, that would give one ground, one reverse switch powered for backup, and one for the taillight/license light.  Is the fourth wire a separate ground for the backup light?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by farmer