Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

'78 Brat - Charging/Not Charging

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 CMJAnew

CMJAnew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Sayre, PA

Posted 15 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Finally purchased a volt meter (extremely cheap one) to get to the bottom of the not charging issue.

Tested the battery with engine NOT running = 13V (I had charged it fully a couple weeks ago)

Tested the battery with engine at idling         = 12V

Tested the battery with engine under load    = 12V to 13V

Never went above 13V

Do you all think I should go straight to replacing the alternator?

#2 CMJAnew

CMJAnew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Sayre, PA

Posted 30 March 2014 - 07:23 AM

After getting some suggestions on a Brat/Brumby facebook page I took the instrument panel out (it was suggested a burned out "charge" light would not allow the alternator to function correctly). 

THERE WAS NO LIGHT AT ALL. So I switched one from the "oil" to "charge". This made no difference -- still no charge. 

So, I did what any normal guy would do ---- Replaced the alternator with a fresh rebuilt. NOW IT CHARGES. I was going to let it idle a while to be sure but, alas, blew the lower radiator hose.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

As to the instrument panel lights -- they ALL seem to be on ALL the time now. Any ideas why? And, what to do 'bout it? 

Plus, any ideas where to get the smaller of the lights and sockets for the instrument panel? The larger (1/2") ones are readily available on eBay.

Edited by CMJAnew, 30 March 2014 - 07:27 AM.

#3 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,954 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:43 AM

On mine the brushes wore down and were not contacting well was really easy to change them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users