Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Orange Gen 2 dashboard gauges

From my experience, the 2nd Gen Leone in the US had 6 different dash/gauge set ups.  The 1980-81 GL models had the side needled orange set ups with full gauges.  The 1982-83 GL models had the centered needle orange full gauges.  The 1984 and later GL models had white lettered center needle full gauges.  There was also the awful digital gauged cars from 1983 to ???  The DL and Standard models used similar idiot light set ups with speedometer (no trip odometer on Standard models), temp and fuel gauges and a "dummy plate" on the left side (looks like there was supposed to be an optional clock for this spot).  The Standard and DL models share the same dash pad design from 1980 onward and the GL shares the other design from 1980 onward.  I've owned a few Subaru cars and Brats over the years and the crossover for the orange to white lettering seems to be 1983/1984.  My 1981 GL wagon, 1982 GLF hardtop and 1983 GL wagon all had orange lettered gauges.  My 1984 GL sedan, 1984 GL Brat, 1985 GL Brat and 1987 Standard all had white lettered gauges.  I've also seen an unique dash for the turbo model which deletes the oil pressure gauge and puts a vacuum/boost gauge in its place (so that means there is probably a white and orange version of these as well).