Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just installed fourth and last air strut on 91 Legacy LS Wagon. I wasn't going to do it myself but a garage said they were going to charge me 50% more labor for customer supplied parts. When I asked why, he said, "cuz we make a profit on our parts, too." I love the feeling of saving money from people like that.

I actually went in to have a rear driveshaft put in. They wouldn't use the one I found in a junkyard - said it was off-centered, and to order a new one is $478. Right now the car is only powered in front. Any ideas / places to get a cheaper rear d/s?

Thanks

Seeing as how they were going to charge you so much for labor on your supplied parts I wouldnt put it past them to just tell you that the driveshaft was offcentered even if it wasn't, just so you'd have to spend more money.

Great News! The salvaged d/s was off-centered. I felt where it was sticky on both ends or the u-joints. So I took it back to the jy for a refund. Just to make sure they wouldn't have any excuses to not give me my money back, i said, "of course, i would love to replace this bad one if you had another good one, but you don't." then they sent eddie out to the lot telling him not to come back until he had a good one. i don't know where he went but he came back with a complete two piece rear d/s off a 91 legacy and i only had to pay $20 diff. then i went back to mechanic and they installed it for $60. now that's a savings!

Happy in AWD,

Starkapopolis