Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Uh oh - cam sprocket moved when removing 2.5L DOHC timing belt

I didn't realize I should have locked the cam sprockets in place, and when I removed the timing belt, the top driver's side sprocket unloaded itself. I didn't see what direction it turned, but the double hashes are now pointed in the roughly 3 o'clock direction (having been at 6 o'clock and aligned with the doubles on the lower sprocket with the belt on.)

When I attempt to turn it clockwise into place, I get to about 4 o'clock and I hear a tap and the sprocket doesn't want to turn further. It doesn't feel like pressure resistance. It feels like it's hitting something (which is also why I mention the tapping sound.) I'm reluctant to put much force behind moving it, so I'm a little stuck now. The lower sprocket didn't move, nor did the passenger side sprockets.

I noticed I can move the sprocket without resistance in the counter clockwise direction until the double notches reach about noon. 

The crank sprocket has its key notch at 6 o'clock.

I'm a little lost. What's my next step?

You're attempting to turn it by hand in the clockwise direction?

It's going to be very difficult to turn it because you'll have to compress the valve springs to get it back into time.

When the cam snaps out of place its because the valves have closed. This is no cause for concern. But it does take some effort to get it to turn back to where its supposed to be. Use a wrench on the head of the bolt that holds the sprocket on to turn it back to position.