Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Near-Paranormal Subaru Phenomena - #2

In advance, please forgive me for what I am about to write.

I could be charged as a war criminal for what I have done to Subarus, and I sincerely apologise for my Atrocities.

Once upon a time, Traded a computer for a Vehicle, and that vehicle was my first Subaru, a 1979 Subaru Brat.

I named this one "Frankenstine" because it somehow at some time had been cut or torn literally into pieces.

I could only assume it had something to do with a wrecking yard, as it did not look like something from a collision.

Someone had aparently welded the pieces back together, and did the greatest job of welding I had ever seen.

You could really see it in the engine compartment, on the firewall. Large, ugly, irratic lines without end where it had been welded back together.

In those days, I only had room in the driveway for 2 Subarus. So when I found a third, the worst of the three would be stripped literally to the last screw, right down to the gas tank. Everything would go into the shed where I had stenciled and painted "Subaru Support".

Well, on day, it was old Frankenstines' turn. But having beaten the living crap out of these marvels, I had yet to see thier limit for abuse, and since the parts on this one were not the best, it was time for a test. I stopped putting oil, water, gear oil, or anything else in it.

One major problem it had was that there was a defect in the engine where compression would leak from on cylinder into the other, so it was essentially running on 2 1/2 - 3 cylinders. I had tried at least three different time to fix it, and nothing lasted.

The breaks wore down to the brake pad backing plate, and I started checking the brakes for adequate function continually, and even thought they made nouse, they performed just fine. The backing plates soon fell out, and it was down to the calpiers themselves grinding down the rotor, each caliper had ground back at least a 1/4 inch.

Then, one day, it acted as if it was running out of gas, except that instead of cutting out, it was cutting IN. It was picking up, boosting with power.

Soimehow the engine had fixed itself. Something had somehow sealed that place where the compression would pass through, and instead of running on 2 1/2 to 3 cylinders, it was now suddenly running at full power on all 4!

The best repairs could not fix it, and it had litterally fixed itself!

I was now starting to re-think, have doubts about the fate I had planned for this Brat... I had completely and utterly neglected it for MONTHS.

I would often drive up into the mountains to visit friends or for any excuse at all; and in summer, even on 2-3 cylinders, I would pass by new cars with thier hoods up because they tried to take the hill on a hot day with their air conditioning on. I always loved that...

So this one day it was the same, until I looked down and noticed that it had just turned 200,000 miles. No record for a Subaru I'm sure, but after utterly neglecting it, refusing to give it anything it needed, and writing it off as soon to be dead and stripped, this was an auspicious occasion.

So I said what the hell, and put a quart of oil in it.  I did later strip it for parts, but it had beaten me it had beaten the odds, and had proved what an incredible survivor it was. This shows you an extreme of what these Subarus are capable of.

Again, please forgive me for what I have done to Subarus.

I could be charged as a war criminal for what I have done to Subarus, and I sincerely apologise for my Atrocities.

Edited by Subaruist
  • Like 2