Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 Legacy wagon rear brake line leak.

I have a leak in one of the rear brake lines in my 98 Legacy wagon and I need a bit of help determining which wheel the line goes to. 

The leak is right at a brass coloured block in the area in front of the right rear wheel, 2 lines go into this block and 2 go out, presumably to each of the wheels.

The 2 lines that go into the block come from a hole in the floor directly beneath the passenger side rear seat. The lines that go out to the wheels are routed in such a way that you would have to drop the gas tank to see which wheel each of them goes to and I have no intention of doing that. My plan is to identify which wheel the leaking line goes to and then run a new line to that wheel. Can any one tell me which wheel each of the lines in the first picture go to?

The second picture is the brass block where the leak is.

Sorry for the long winded post, hopefully it's not too confusing.

post-11429-0-49539900-1410307315_thumb.jpg

post-11429-0-61317400-1410307336_thumb.jpg

Edited by AEROCOOK

Pretty sure its exactly as they are on the car. Left line goes to the left side, right to right side.

Cut one off inside the car, then disconnect that side at the wheel end and see if you can blow air through it (use a short section of vacuum hose).

Cap off the line after you cut it to avoid letting the lines and master cylinder run empty and fill with air. Much less of a paint to bleed brakes if the lines don't to empty.

After I created the original post, I decided to Google "Legacy brake line" and found tons of info, seems it's a common problem. I'll be replacing (and re-routing) both rear lines. I plan on putting compression fittings on the lines right under the rear seat cushion where they're easy to get at and corrosion free. I'll then route them down through the floor making use of the existing rubber seal and from there, I'll find a suitable route to the wheels.  

Since I've decided to replace both lines, determining which line goes to which wheel is a no brainer now.

Thanks for the reply.

Ihad this problem, but the union block was so corroded i had to resort to compression fittings from inside the car. I ended up swapping out the gas tank and subframe while i was at it. PErhaps you can do some clever routing of the lines. You would have to dro the subframe to drop the gas tank.