Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stereo Issues ('99 Impreza)

I drive a '99 Impreza which has an aftermarket stereo and front speakers (both installed by previous owner) which has been acting fine up until a few weeks ago. After a day of heavy rainfall, a message comes up on my JVC receiver saying "Warning: Check wiring then reset unit". I didn't have time to deal with it then, but when I checked the wiring the next day, there was no apparent signs of moisture and all the wires seemed in tact. So I reset the unit, and it works fine for a few days until it rains again, same message comes up. Again, I check the wiring and there's no moisture, but resetting the unit does nothing. Could a leak from elsewhere in the car be causing this to happen? I'm hesitant to do any further 'investigating' until I have an idea of what I'm dealing with, since my knowledge on electrical wiring is next to none. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Are your carpets wet around the floor??? Ive had a few subarus that would have a slight leak around there and potentially leak to the back of the head unit... I personally never had it affect my radio but would notice after raining that the floor would be a little damp and now my 96 legacy had a pretty good leak around the top of the windshield and even drips trough the headliner.

If you havent pulled the head unit and checked behind there it could be something to check.

Greg

• 2 weeks later...

The problem is in the doors. The wire connectors are getting wet or the speakers themselves may be getting wet.

If the installer used the extension/adapter connectors they may have just dropped the wires back in the doors and the connectors are sitting at the bottom of the door where water collects when it rains.

Another thig you'll want to make sure of is the drain ports in the bottom of the doors are clear of dirt/ leaves, broken glass.