Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm picking up a 1992 Legacy L manual AWD with a bit of rust, shakey brakes, and a slipping clutch tomorrow. I paid scrap value for it, $75, put my own wheels and battery on. The car has sat in a guys yard for 2 years, he parked it when the clutch started to slip, and it started first try. I turned the key and rrrrnt, rrrnt, vroooom. :D The clutch slips bad, since the brake pads were rusted to the rotors (4 wheel disks) I had to rock the car to break them free. I could take my foot off the clutch pedal and rev the engine with it in gear. Nasty smell. It busted free and i took it for a rip round his neighbors lawn. i was so proud, both my dad and him doubted it would start, but it just started like it had been parked the day before. I knew it would, having previous experience with a Legacy L, same year auto, running on 3 cyl cause the plugs had blown out and it was left in the muddiest part of a scrappile, that one started right up to. I love subarus, what other car could survive so well?

Oh, i was wondering if i could adjust the cable on the clutch and get some more life out of it?

Congratulations on your "new" Subaru.

Does New Hampshire require vehicle safety inspections? If it does, I'd make a list of things you need to do to get this car past inspection. Then put together a budget and go from there. It sounds like you got yourself a great project car. Have fun.

I've already got a 91 loyale in progress, so this car is just for fun on the land. After i'm finished with it, the spare parts will go to my dads 95 legacy and the engine, bellhousing, clutch, harness and computer will end up being adapted to a d/r tranny I have. Hopefully this setup will end up in a 3 door, if not it will end up in my loyale. I don't like the looks of the early legacys, they look too much like a Camry. The loyale is also about 500lbs lighter. 130 horse and Low range 4wd mean good times. I'm on the lokout for a good 3 door body, I have a rusted to pieces one that i like for its looks and handling. The loyale has emotional attachments 'cause it was a gift from a relative, so it has to go back on the road to appease the gods of good fortune and gifted cars.