Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello all,

I never knew there was a site just for Subaru owners.  I never thought of looking before...

My car and I have been through a lot.  It's a 93 Impreza.  I've had it almost 4 years, I bought it used for $1,500.00.  Within the first week I had to put it in the shop to have the ball joints replaced.  That was the last time I put it in the shop for something so simple.  I have been on a wonderful and sometimes frustrating journey with my Impreza doing self repairs.

I am currently trying to repair the harmonic balancer, and will be looking into the pin.  I bought a new pulley yesterday and put it on with no thought to there being a pin, (even though there is a notch in the pulley :). ) I need to see if there is a pin in there still, which there should be since a piece was stuck in the old pulley.

Any way, any advice you can give on this matter would be greatly appreciated as this is a new area for me.  Should I assume the bolt for the pulley is as old as the car and buy a new one so I don't run the risk of breaking it off like I have read others have done?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just got back from the auto parts store, showed them pictures of the crankshaft, it's grooved from the key and can not be fixed or used.  So, now I have to get a new crank shaft.  Any advice from experienced people would be great right now.  I know I can do this, but guidance is always best for a first time job.

Edited by DKelsay

I've seen pics of some pretty bad cranks on here and other forums and haven't seen one yet that needed to be replaced.

The key isn't really necessary, it just holds the pulley in place until you tighten the bolt. Once the bolt is tightened properly the pulley won't move because its gets jammed against the timing sprocket.