Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 outback electrical issues

My car started fine yesterday went and did an errand. Two hours later went to start it and completely dead. I didn't leave anything on, so I'm not sure why it was dead. I got it boosted and let it run for half hour. While it was running in my driveway I would put my foot on the brake and there would be a click sound and the running lights would dim which I thought was odd. It did it each time I  put my foot on the brake while I was sitting there in park. When I turned it off after I thought it was charged went to restart completely dead again. Also not sure if its connected but a week ago I had to replace both low beams which burned out at the same time. Over the last several months  there's been a few times when it gave me trouble starting but each time I would  get the garage to check it out and they would  say everything seemed fine. Any thoughts.  Thanks

1 check the battery terminals, are they clean and tight? If they're covered in blue/green crud they need to be cleaned thoroughly before doing anything else.

2. Have the battey and the charging system tested.

Light bulbs burn out if you have an overcharge condition. Overcharging can be caused by a failing battery. It sounds like the battery is now completely dead, which is why it won't restart. Running the engine with a dead battery is not good for the electrical system, and it will overheat and damage the alternator.

Most parts stores can check the charging system for you. If there is parts store nearby (within 10 minutes) jump start the car and drive it there and get it tested. Be prepared to buy a new battery at the very least.

Clicking when pressing the brake pedal is just the shifter interlock in the console.