Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1990 Subaru Legacy LS 2.2L - Shift Linkage Sloppy Bushings etc

Hello I have been reading a lot but feel that due to my lack of expertise really need some ONE on ONE answers. I have a 1990 Legacy with most likely some serious bushing problems in the linkage. 

I was wondering if there was a more permanent solution. Rather than replacing all the bushings is there an upgraded bushing I can buy made of a better longer lasting material? Is there a whole different linkage I can buy to replace the whole thing entirely with an upgrade that performs and lasts longer? 

If anyone has the whole DIY with pics or a link to it that would be appreciated as well. 

* I saw for the most part that people were disconnecting up top from inside vehicle then from under by pushing out the 2 push washers or whatever they might be called. 

People suggested changing the spring, what do you think about that. Is it easier to lower the transmission a bit? Is that possible on this car? If anyone wants me to take pictures of anything I am totally up for whatever it takes to get this shifting right and comfortably again. At times I'm literally not able to shift into 2nd at all. then there will be a straight week with no issues at all. Then I might jerk the car a certain way and maybe bushing falls in the way I have no clue. 

Thanks all for your time.