Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Nashville Mechanic / Repair Shop - Do You Know A Good One?

I have a 2007 Legacy Outback wagon with 155k miles.  The Subaru dealership in Nashville says that my check engine light is due to oil leaking from the head gasket (and the valve cover gasket) onto the spark plug wells. The dealer wants A LOT of $$ to replace the gaskets.  I already paid A LOT of money to the dealership to replace the power steering pump and perform a tune up.  I called a couple of shops in Nashville and they told they don't typically work on Subarus.  Do you know anyone in the Nashville area who you would trust to take care of your car?  Thank you... Jeff

Head gaskets are not entirely necessary. Typically they only leak slowly, and can be kept in check just by keeping an eye on oil and coolant levels.

The valve cover gaskets should be a higher priority since the oil leaking into the spark plug wells can cause misfires and damage your catalytic converters.

I don't have a recommendation for a shop, but it can sometimes help to find an automotive machine shop and ask them if they frequently do machine work on Subaru engines for any shops in that area.

• 3 weeks later...

Dear Sooberoo, Thank you very much!

I did find a very trustworthy mechanic in Nashville - Leroy at East Nashville Auto Repair.  Lot's of good reviews in a few different forums.  The car is there this week and we will see what happens!

Thanks again... Jeff