Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Service procedures for 2004 Outback Wagon

Hi Subaru folks! I'm a newbie Subie owner, and new to this forum. Looks like a great resource for technical and event info. Several questions: Does anyone publish a service manual for newer Subarus (post-2002)? The usual resources (Haynes, Chilton, etc.) seem to have manuals for older Subies, but nothing (yet) for late models. Also, any tips on changing the oil (removing the plastic belly pan)? What's the *total* amount of new oil to refill the sump/filter with on an oil/filter change for the 2.5 (non-turbo) engine? I'll be using Mobil One 5W-30. Am also concerned about the large number of head-gasket and piston-slap problems many owners have experienced with (usually older) 4-cylinder Subarus. We've been long-time VW owners, and one of our fleet is a 1989 Jetta with over 250K miles on the original engine/clutch/transaxle (Mobil One since day one) with no durability or reliability problems. I keep vehicles a long time (obviously), but maintain 'em religiously. Will our new Outback be as reliable with proper maintenance, or should I look to jettison the car before we hit 100K miles?

Thanks for your input! Jim in Coralville, Iowa

Welcome to USMB.

I too live in Coralville. About time somebody else showed up! :)

419A 5th Street. Stop by and say hi sometime.

The oil quantity should be in your owners manual. The belly pan is a PITA and most do it yourselfers will remove it and not put it back on as the fasteners aren't built to be used that often. Use a dealer crush ring on the oil drain plug to prevent leaks and apply the proper torque.

I only own old subaru's. Only one of mine is in town right now but you might have seen me running around in my Brat before.

I posted some directions on this forum on how to get the complete factory manual for your specific model year LEGALLY from the Subaru website:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10016

For ~$20 you get 3 days access to download the factory manual in PDF format. I have never tried CD's that some people sell on EBay, but I prefer to have the official thing rather than support somebody else's piracy efforts.

I wish that Subaru would hand out this $0.50 gift with the purchase of a new car, but I guess $20 is still much better than paying that for the Haynes' or Chilton's. And of course you also buy a hardcopy of the factory manual but that runs ~$200.

Best

Hank