Jump to content


Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse
 

Photo
- - - - -

Electrical question


  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mr.radon

mr.radon

    USMB is life!

  • Members
  • 232 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:41 AM

1988 Subaru GL SW. Now as I was driving to the airport the warning lamps, including the park lamp, start to dimmly come on. I also noticed the volt meter was slightly below 12V. I pulled over and checked the belts, no problem. Since I had to pick up someone from the airport I drove there without using any power, no radio, power windows, air, wipers, CC. Well on the way home the power lasted till my house, just barely. Lights were so dim hard to see where I was driving.
Anyway, is this a classic ALT failure, or should I be looking for a lifted ground? I drove the other car in this morning, the car is still on the charger while I'm at work. Suggestions? Figure this must have happened before to someone?
Was thinking PAP for a new ALT....

#2 mdjdc

mdjdc

    1000+ Super USER!

  • Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:08 AM

Your alternator is toast. I have had this happen before on my wife's car numerous times until I found there was a draw between the alt and the battery. My rebuilder figured it out for me and we put in a direct wire to the battery and I haven't blown an alt in 2 years. What you have described is the typical alternator dying scenario. Get a rebuilt tonight and put it in and you should be in good shape


Good Luck

#3 BFN

BFN

    New User

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Norway

Posted 02 June 2004 - 12:49 PM

How did you route the cable between the alt and the battery? Been thinking of doing this myself because my car eats alt's. Looking at the wires it seems to me that the positive cable from the alt goes trough the fusible links, and to the battery. Could i just replace that cable, except going straight to the battery from the alt? Or are there other stuff that requires the cable to go through the fusible links?


Thanks in advance :)

BFN

BTW My car is an 86 MPFI EA82, 3door coupe

#4 mdjdc

mdjdc

    1000+ Super USER!

  • Members
  • 1,307 posts
  • Richmond

Posted 02 June 2004 - 01:29 PM

leave the wiring as it is and just run a wire from the alternator to a fusable link on the positive battery terminal. That should take car of the problem, it did for me.


Mike




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users