Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So i got my new short shifter on ebay and installed it this weekend.. the car is a 2000 outback sport.

the install went okay, except there were no instructions with the new part so i had to figure it out as i went along. the only tough part was the ball and socket joint.

the bottom of the shifter has a ball and it rests in a urathane locking socket. its fairly easy to pull the old one out, but it is a major pain to get the new one in. you need to use a little leverage. if anyone is curious i will go into detail about how i ended up doing this.

Sofar no probelems with the shifting, it is much shorter, but the sensation is not as soft as before. I attribute this to the point where the old shaft attached to the linkage, it had urathane bushings. The new one is all metal with roller bearings.

The only problem i have so far is when my RPMs get above 2500 i get a very loud buzzing noise from the shaft itself. i believe it is from the vibration causing a buzz at the point the linkage meets the shaft (metal on metal as i said before). I will try to remidy this by installing some urathane washers. i expect this will solve the problem..

Does anyone know if it is safe to use axil grease on urathane, thats all i have in the tool box right now? or should i get something different?

All in all it went well. Sorry no pictures, but my digital's batteries are dead.

I would be happy to go into more detail if anyone wants to hear it.

the drive with the short shifter is great.. much quicker shifts = less speed scrubed between shifts = faster & better gas mi.

we will have to see how much better the gas mi is, i doubt its enough to even calculate over a short time. but the wife need not know that.