Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I am pulling the engine on my '96 Outback to replace the head gaskets and other seals (blown head gasket). I THINK I have removed all of the bolts that should be holding it in the car but it still won't budge (have not really tried to get it out yet (that's for tomorrow) but it won't move at all. I'm not sure I got all the bolts out. There is alot of oil obscuring some of the mounting points. I removed the two nuts from below on the engine mounts, the two bolts/nuts on the bellhousing on the passenger side and the two bolts that hold the starter on. Is there anything else (obviously I have removed the radiator, all hoses, wires etc.) that is holding the engine in the car???

Thanks for the help.

Todd

Auto or manual? If auto, did you unbolt the flex plate from the torque converter?

It's an automatic. This is the first auto that I have worked on...all my other cars have been manual transmissions. I have only unbolted the things listed. Where is the "flex plate"?

Thanks,

Todd

There should be a little cover you can remove near the bell housing that will give you access to the flex plate bolts. Remove one, turn the engine a little, remove the next one, etc.

I have never removed a subaru engine so I am basing this on experience with other makes. Someone may be able to chime in with more specific information.

There should be a little cover you can remove near the bell housing that will give you access to the flex plate bolts. Remove one, turn the engine a little, remove the next one, etc.

99obw is exactly right. On the top rear of the engine is a little black cover. Wehn removed, it exposes the flexplate. using a screwdriver or whatever (or a wrench on the front of the engine) turn the engine slowly until you see a bolt. There are 3 (or 4, but I think three). Remove these, and the torque converter will separate from the flexplate.

Basically, there are 4 bolts holding the engine together, and two front engine mounts. Also, there are two dowel pins between the engine and transmission mating surfaces. You need to locate these, there is one on either side of the car. They align the engine and transmission together. They often corrode, so you need to get a hammer and punch and try to loosen them up. It isn't necessary to remove them, you just want to disturb them some so they will let loose their grasp. When you reinstall the engine, you simply tap them back in place.

aside from making sure everything is disconnected, it can be a bear to separate the two. after about 2 hours of trying everything imaginable (including my neighbor standing on the engine while i shook/pryed it), i hit a flat spot on the bellhousing with the butt end of a long breaker bar. low and behold, a hairline crack opened up. slowly but surely, i was able to get it apart more and more, until i could get something in between to wedge them apart.

i put a bunch of notes and things i learned along the way up here:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze730qe/Head_gasket_replacement.html

hope it helps...

<<aside from making sure everything is disconnected, it can be a bear to separate the two. after about 2 hours of trying everything imaginable (including my neighbor standing on the engine while i shook/pryed it), i hit a flat spot on the bellhousing with the butt end of a long breaker bar. low and behold, a hairline crack opened up. slowly but surely, i was able to get it apart more and more, until i could get something in between to wedge them apart.>>

you have to jack up the tranny about 1-3 inches before you try to pull the engine. this will make the engine mount bolts clear the engine crossmember. then it will slide right off. thats all you need to do.

99obw is exactly right. On the top rear of the engine is a little black cover. Wehn removed, it exposes the flexplate. using a screwdriver or whatever (or a wrench on the front of the engine) turn the engine slowly until you see a bolt. There are 3 (or 4, but I think three). Remove these, and the torque converter will separate from the flexplate.

On my Gen 1 EJ22 there are four bolts on the outer part of the flexplate. If you haven't already found it, the access panel should be slightly on the passenger side, right behind the top of the engine.

Well....it's out....thanks for all the help guys (now for the hard part..rebuilding). From What I can remember there are 6 bolts/nuts that have to be removed (two bolts on top, two nuts on the bottom, and two bolts that hold the starter on). I had not seen one of the nuts on the bottom and that's why I could not get them apart, once removed it separated without too much encouragement from me. On my '96 there are 4 bolts on the flexplate that have to be removed. I've never done an automatic before....very lucky that someone mentioned the flex plate (I think Subaru calls it a drive plate) bolts or I would have probably torn it all to hell trying to get it apart. Sad part is, I have a manual but didn't read it thoroughly! Thanks again for the help. I'm sure I'll be back in the near future for more tear down/rebuild help.

While I'm here, anybody have any tips for accessing that bottom left nut on the engine/bellhousing? I had a hell of a time getting a wrench first, and then getting force on the wrech, on that nut.

Todd

<<While I'm here, anybody have any tips for accessing that bottom left nut on the engine/bellhousing? I had a hell of a time getting a wrench first, and then getting force on the wrech, on that nut.>>

14mm flex socket with long extention.