Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What can I replace my 99 STi05 engine with?

Hello all. I am a new user to this site but hope that it may help me.

Here's the deal, I managed to totally ruin dad's STi05 engine, whilst not driving particularly hard at all. The problem is in the bottom(?) of the engine and I have been quoted a hefty price for a rebuild. I would like to find alternative engines that can fit into the STi engine bay keeping in mind I need a RELIABLE engine that will not costing too much in labour to install.

Currently it is 100% stock, and I am wondering what engine may fetch the most in terms of resale price (eg. is the ej25 really rare in the STi 2 door body, therefore increasing resale value?)

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

We may not be too much help to you as we never got the WRX in the US until 2002 or the STi until 2004. However, I do know that the turbo engines use a different crossmember than the N/A engines, so unless you want to swap that out, you'll want another turbo engine (plus switching to N/A would mean different exhaust routing).

Even more of a pain would be the harness. Putting in anything other than the original engine may require a different wiring harness, which is by far the hardest part of an engine swap (that's a lot of wires to splice).

BTW, I assume by STi05 you mean an STi version 5 (which would match up with the 99 model year you mentioned). Also by EJ25 are you referring to the 165HP USDM N/A 2.5L, the JDM N/A 2.5L (which has more horsepower than the USDM version) or the 300HP USDM STi 2.5L Turbo?

You might also want to try forums like ScoobyNet (http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/) which is in the UK and whose users would have more firsthand experience with the GC8-body WRX/STi models.