Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible rear differential issue/ search for boston subaru mechanic

Hey everyone,

First time post here, thanks for reading.

I seem to be having some transmission issues with my 97 Legacy Outback (5-speed, 110k miles).

As I was pulling out of a gas station yesterday I heard what sounded like gears grinding while driving in first gear. My acceleration was sluggish and the tachometer was moving almost independently of the speedometer. I shifted into second and the same behavior occured, although I was able to get up to about 25 miles per hour in second. After getting above 30 miles per hour in third, the grinding subsided unless I pressed heavily on the accelerator. Eventually I could got up to highway speeds allowing me to drive all the way home.

After getting off the highway I managed to hit almost every red light, allowing me to take note of the behavior, which was found mostly when accelerating from a stop or low speeds. The noise had subsided somewhat, and sounded more like plates rubbing together than gears grinding. It sounded like it was originating from the rear of the vehicle.

Have any of you had experience with something like this? I live (and park on the street) in Cambridge, Mass, and therefor have no room to work on the car myself. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Boston area?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tim

When I checked on it, there was not a very serious odor (I assume you mean some sort of burning odor. )

I had always thought that a clutch going out would give you some sort of warning. Dropping it off at Cityside Subaru in Arlington after the traffic subsides, unless someone has a better suggestion.

Thanks,

Tim

Most of the area Subaru service departments are pretty good, but they're also usually flat rate so they can become expensive.

I live in Boston but have my car worked on in Peabody. I'd suggest the Car Talk mechanics recommendation forum at:

http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

Most of the independent garages have done quite a bit with Subarus since they are so common here, even though they don't necessarily advertise that they "specialize" in them.

You could even take it to the Good News Garage, home turf of Click & Clack, the Tappet Brothers of NPR fame. 75 Hamilton Street, 617-354-5383. They have a reputation for doing good work, but they are not cheap and take cash only. The best garages around here are now getting $65 per hour.

I have no connection with them nor have they laid eyes on my car, but have heard their comments on various Subaru call-ins and they seem to be very familiar with them. Along with VW's, Hondas and Volvos, Subarus have been approved by the Democratic Village of Cambridge People's Car Commissariat, so you should be all set.