Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Front end vibration....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Greg55_99

Greg55_99

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Boston

Posted 19 July 2004 - 11:08 PM

OK, I've got a vibration or rumble from the front end of my 94 2WD Legacy. Smooths out over 65 mph but comes back at lower speeds. Cars pulls to the right now as well. How can I tell if it's the front wheel bearings, drive axles or whatever? I had the right side front wheel bearings and drive axle replaced about 60K miles ago. Car now has 166K on it. Any help?

Greg

#2 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 20 July 2004 - 01:51 AM

It might be cheapest to have the wheels balanced before doing anything else. 62mph would be the first harmonic peak of the tyre vibes.

A rumbling bearing will get louder when you put weight on it into a turn. When you turn the other way the lighter load will make the sound softer.

#3 rallynutdon

rallynutdon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Reading PA

Posted 20 July 2004 - 12:32 PM

I have the same vibration. It's from a not completely round tire (you can see it on the spinning balance machine). I already sent one back and it's replacement was better but still a hassle. Right now I'm living with it till the set wears out then never buying that brand again. It is strange, sometimes it's worse than others.

#4 vic

vic

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Central Iowa

Posted 20 July 2004 - 03:29 PM

OK, I've got a vibration or rumble from the front end of my 94 2WD Legacy. Smooths out over 65 mph but comes back at lower speeds. Cars pulls to the right now as well. How can I tell if it's the front wheel bearings, drive axles or whatever? I had the right side front wheel bearings and drive axle replaced about 60K miles ago. Car now has 166K on it. Any help?

Greg

Occasionally have similar problem with my 99 Forester. Living on a gravel road I sometimes get mud built up inside the wheels knocking them off balance. Usually just taking the wheels off and scraping the mud off the inside solves the problem

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users