Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

bubbles in coolant overflow = doom?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 andrew444

andrew444

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 September 2004 - 09:13 AM

Hello -

Over the last few months, I've noticed an antifreeze smell from under the hood of my 98 Forester (AT, 95K) after a hard drive. Last night, I looked in the coolant overflow tank and saw a few bubbles popping up. The temp guage has never risen above the mid point, which is pretty much where it is all the time. The coolant looks clean and green otherwise.

Would I be correct in guessing this means my gaskets are gone, or getting ready to go? I will probably unload the car relatively soon, am I taking my chances by driving it around like that, or will it last a bit longer?

Thanks,
Andrew

#2 blitz

blitz

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,091 posts
  • Warren, Michigan

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:23 PM

I get the same bubbles in the overflow on my '02 2.5. It's been happening for about a year with no increase in severity or abnormal movement of the temp gauge, although I do get some dry, black, flakey residue in the O'flow tank (carbon???).

The only way to know if it is combustion gas or not is to have the bubbles sniffed for hydrocarbons, which is something I haven't done.

#3 Setright

Setright

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,176 posts
  • Denmark

Posted 10 September 2004 - 12:25 PM

Both my Subarus have done this. My old EJ22 and my present EJ201. I think it's normal, and have never investigated this phenomenon on other cars, which probably do this aswell.

My logic is this: Once the fluid has expanded and slipped past the radiator cap, it is only under atmospheric pressure, and therefore begins to boil and sends vapour bubbles into the overflow tank. It only needs to be around 90 degrees celcius to give off steam, and it's easily that hot when it leaves the radiator.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users