Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Recommendations for '98 OBW H4 replacement

Hey guys,

I drive a '98 OBW with factory headlights. I want brighter headlights, but don't want to install a whole new headlight assembly, just the bulbs. I have read about these H4 bulbs. Are they a drastic improvement over factory bulbs, and if so, which brand/type should I get?

thanks

If I'm not mistaken, you have 9007 bulbs. My 97 OB had the H4 (9003), but Subaru switched in 1998. The H4 bulb will not fit your socket.

I'm running Eaglite high output bulbs. The lighting is much improved. Check the midnightmoose website to see if they have a 9007 version. Very good pricing and long life. So far, no trouble with my wiring harness, but after about 3 or 4 years, my connector has started to crumble due to heat. You could put in a wiring harness if you want. I tried to go that route, but the daytime running light system for the Canadian cars messed things up.

Some people love the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs. They are the same wattage, but more light output (supposedly). I personally haven't found them to be that much better than a regular H4 bulb. It depends on how much improvement you are looking for.

Commuter

Perhaps I'm wrong, but I really thought that this was one of those mid model changes that happened.

I have to get my car at the dealer tomorrow. I'll try to remember to ask, just to be doubly sure.

Heck... just pull one of the bulbs and look at it. You'll get the number that way and be 100% sure.

Also, your manual should tell you what the bulb number is.

H4 (or 9007, etc) is just a design of bulb. You can't change the design that your car is equipped for (without major alteration). But, many manufacturers make the same design of bulb in different 'flavors'. Regular, high output, HID look, etc etc. Companies such as GE, Osram, Sylvania, a slew of Asian brands, etc. You just need to find one that suits what you are after.

Commuter

I got the Osram Sylvania Xtravisions. They aren't whiter, just brighter. They're about $10 each at most parts stores. They are noticably brighter, but don't last as long - they burned out after a Fall/Winter of driving. I replaced them with the stock bulbs I removed but will put them in again when I'm driving to and from work in the dark in a month or so.

I have true HID bulbs in my car. I lost the high beams, but they are so bright that I don't need high beams at all. You can see what it looks like in my avatar. I bought mine before the new DOT regulation started up, so it will be difficult to find conversion kits today. Another one would be Sylvania SilverStars.

-RC!

Bought the Sylvania Silverstars last night, but have yet to do any nighttime driving...very anxious. $43.00 per pair at O'Reilly's store.

I switched out one and compared it to the factory headlight and noticed a slight difference in brightness, BUT this was the reflection off of a beige wall in the evening, not total darkness, so we'll see.

A couple months after I got my subaru my neighbor gave me 2 sets of xenon ultra-white bulbs. He bought them on clearance for a car he later sold. The first set have been in for almost 3 years now, without a problem and are way brighter then the stock ones were.

I looked in to the Silverstars and am impressed with their specs. Not a bad price either. Does anyone know if the Silverstars are illegal?
Sylvania has a road-view test of their bulbs on their website. The SilverStars aren't really any brighter than the XtraVisions, they just produce a whiter light (for that annoying HID look), cost more, and last a shorter time....

• 2 weeks later...