Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sti springs

Guest synapse79

im currently running H&R springs with the stock struts.

Im about order a set of AGX struts, but i got a few questions.

I would like a spring that is slightly stiffer with a slightly higher ride height, compared to the H&R springs. Does anybody know of such a spring?

One other thing im curious about, does anybody sell a leda kit, or similar kit for close to $1000bux? I think that would be the best way to go.

thanx

jason

Guest synapse79

ive never heard of SPT.

after a little research I found they are made by Eibach and sold under the name Subaru performance tuning.

I found they have a rate of 30n/m front and 33n/m in the back. Does anybody have a clue what that is in lbs/in? It would be nice to be able to compare.

It is kind of interesting that the rear is stiffer than the front, but i think that is a good thing. My biggest prob has been with the back end.

I thought the H&R spring had a pretty good ride, but i am more interested in performance.

Subie Gal

What springs do you recommend?

Should I email you for prices?

thanks

jason

Guest Legacy777

Couple things......I'll start from top threads down.

You do not want to run AGX struts with springs that have more then about an 1" drop. They will not work right and you'll pretty much destroy them. So the H&R's need to go if you want to put the AGX's on.

Second thing, the numbers you listed for spring rates.....the units are wrong. They should be in N/mm

But anyway here are the spring rates in lbs/in

Front: 171.30 lbs/in

Rear: 188.43 lbs/in

To comment on those springs. The rates are not that high. My whitelines have a spring rate of:

Front: 190 lbs/in

Rear: 180 lbs/in

Are the sti/spt springs progressive?

Thirdly.....you were wondering about the reason the rear is stiffer. I can't tell ya why the rear is stiffer on factory. Wagons usually have higher spring rates in the rear because there's more weight compared to sedans, and their wheel base is longer. What type of subie these goin on?

However I can tell ya why most aftermarket spring manufacturers usually have higher values in the front. Actually I can copy and past an email I had with one of whitelines tech reps:

[ME]I'm curious to why the factory setup in general has a higher spring rate for the rears then the fronts, and the whiteline springs are backwards, higher rates in front, lower in the rear. Is this for performance, or is there some other reasoning behind it?

[WR] Forgive me for "cut'n'pasting", I've just answer this same question to Ciper from i-Club. Here's my answer;

"... There are a number of reasons why we have chosen our spring rates.

Firstly, we believe that the total spring rate of our springs is sufficient to hold the required weight.

Secondly, as these cars have a McPherson strut configuration front and rear, the approximate motion ratio is 0.9 : 1 on both, and a vehicle weight distribution of approximately 58% front / 42% rear. Our aim is to achieve similar spring frequency front and rear, or at least as in this case closer then factory. Hence, our springs are front disproportionaly stiffer then rear when compared to factory rates.

Once that is done, we use sway bars, wheel alignment and other means to fine tune the handling balance of the vehicle. ..."

Guest Legacy777

Subaruparts has their info messed up. I'm prob goin to email them.

When I first tried to convert the units I got some bizarre number......which I knew was not correct. Then I looked in the FSM and they give the info in N/mm

These springs would probably be fine with the AGX's, if you wanted to go with them.

I would suggest goin over to nasioc www.nasioc.com/forums and ask in the suspension braking forum about those springs & strut combo, or any other springs people are running with the AGX's.

There's just tons more people over there, so there's goin to be much more varieties of suspension setups.

Guest LeoneTurbo

Spring rates front and rear play an important role in getting the balance of the car right.

Stiffer up front means more understeer, stiffer in the rear more oversteer and vice versa.

Same goes for sway bars and tire pressure.

BTW, all Subaru wagons and sedans of the same series and model years have the same wheel base. It's true that the wagons run stiffer springs at the back compared to the sedans due to the different weight distribution. That's the same reason why airconditioning equipped cars also have different springs up front, for example.

Correct units for spring rates are indeed N/mm, shocks are measured in N at 0.3m/s (force needed to push in or pull out shock at a speed of 0.3m per second).

Guest Subie Gal

""Subie Gal

What springs do you recommend?

Should I email you for prices?""

I think the STi/SPT springs would be perfect with the KYB/AGX's... totally recommend them...

prices? well i can link you to our site...

secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?category=185669&prodid=1483534

but feel free to shop around...

or hit me with any questions.

cheers.

Jamie

www.subiegalracing.com

Guest synapse79

I am pretty sure the H&R springs are stiffer than the SPT springs, and I dont think there is really anything to gain going to STI springs over the H&Rs. That is my conclusion from my research and the various ppl i have talked to. It seems that a spring with a decent rate(300 or so) does not exist.

SO, i'm going to save my pennys to buy a coilover setup probably later in the spring. Ive been looking at Tein SS and HA sets. Perrin and H&R make sets that are not too expensive. The other nice thing with coil overs is the car could be setup to take offroad. Going offroad with the H&R springs really wouldnt be practical. They seem to be a "road" setup with an inadequate spring rate.

Guest Subie Gal

H&R springs from my experience are inadequate.

They allow for too much drop, and your car will

1 - likely have rubbing issues with the KYB's...

2 - likely cause one of the KYB struts to blow - KYB does not recommend using springs which lower the car more than 1".... H&R's will lower the car at least 1.5"...

3 - car will be bouncy bouncy and you will compromise your ride by using the KYB/AGX combo.

how do i know?

been there done that... blew a strut... sold the set...

and got a much better set up....

cheers

Jamie

www.subiegalracing.com

www.allsubaru.com

Guest synapse79

I agree, you pointed out exactly what I reported with the first post of the thread. I have not found a spring to suit my demands. That is why I plan on installing a coil over when funding permits.