Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Where is Canistor Purge Solenoid Valve?

Guest MailmanX

1993 Legacy L Sedan

Engine Light Code = 35 (Solenoid Valve Inoperative)

My Haynes manual talks about it, but doesn't show me where it's located. I found a couple things in my engine compartment that "might" be it, but I don't want to guess.

Also, any idea how much this part will cost me from the dealer? I know, I could call the dealer and ask - but I'm here at the moment.

P.S. - I'm currently working in Southern California. They hardly know what a Subaru is here!

Thanks!

Michael

Guest Legacy777

It's under the passenger side intake runners. There should be little vacuum lines running to charcoil canister in the front of the car.

I think the part is like 100 bucks.....I may be wrong....but you could try taking it out.....cleaning it, and such.

It's just emissions BS.....doesn't necessarily affect the car too much.

Guest MailmanX

I'll give cleaning it a try. It has definitely affected my gas milage since the check engine light started coming on. I let it go for a couple of months since the car still ran fine. But I've lost about 3 mpg during that time.

Michael

P.S. - Good to talk to you again. I've been off the board for a while. The last time I posted I was working in West Virginia.

Guest Legacy777

Yeah....give her a cleanin....see what happens.....if not....see how much a new one runs yah.

Yeah....been a while. How's the job in cali? Your family still in seattle area?

Things at my job aren't too hot....possible relocation to tulsa.....which ain't happen for me.....got another one I'm sniffin at.....we'll see....

If you are losing MPG, then prolly stuck open-hence vac leak. Plug line and see if gets better. As bes as I can tell on my 91, code is generrated when coil becomes open, can put a 200 Ohm (or so-value is approx) reisitor or so accrross wire and see if Check Engine light goes out. If coil is open, valve is shot.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MailmanX

Hi Shawn,

I actually worked on it before coming back to this website and seeing your link. Here's an update:

I took the part off before buying a replacement to see if I could clean or repair it. Turns out that it can't be disassembled, so I figured I'd have to replace it.

But then I decided to experiement with it since it was probably already ruined. I squirted penetrating oil into the vacuum inlet and outlet ports and let it sit overnight. Then I put it back on the car.

It worked! I guess the penetrating oil loosened up the actuator inside the solenoid. Not only did my check engine light quit coming on, my gas milage went back up to what it used to be (a very noticeable 5mpg difference). Sweet!!

Thanks for all the advice!

Michael

• 9 years later...