Ultimate Subaru Message Board

towing AWD with tires on road

Guest MKIVSupra

That is where I originally wanted to put mine, but I don't trust it. Especailly when it's cold or the window gets condensation on it and the static cling does not work as good. I actually had window tint peal off once when I put the window down.

I put one on the driver's front bottom corner of the windshield, right above the vin. I figure if someone tows the car, they might have to look at the vin for something. Then they can't miss the warning. The other one I had in the back window but moved it to the small rear side one. One problem I have is my windows are tinted so you can't see the stickers unless you get real close. I almost wish one was a real sticker and not static cling. Then I could put one on the outside of the window. Prolly the best places would be right on the rear or front bumper, then the tow dude could not miss them. I will not stick anything on the body of my vehicles though. Unless someone was paying me money to put their company's sticker on, then I might consider it.

Guest eclipses00

hp- the link that bagheera posted has a bunch of 'ru owners dying to know if an awd was ever improperly towed. I think they could benefit from a post of your story...some are betting it's never happened and other's might just want to hear the gruesome details for to perpetuate their self-proclaimed paranoia. -just a thought.

Guest SUBYDAZZ

If you need to tow an auto AWD Subaru, aren't you supposed to put a fuse in somewherein the engine bay which cuts out the rear drive connection in the tranny? Even so it is only to be towed with rear wheels on the ground for short distances.

:)roll01.gif:)

Guest SmashPDX

Yep, if it's an auto AWD and you're using a donut spare, you're supposed to put a fuse in a holder under the hood to disengage power to the rear wheels. But it doesn't mitigate the towing issue at all, because the problem is that you've got one set of wheels still and all the drivetrain components to the other end of the car spinning like mad. Screws up manual trannies too (overheats the center VC).