Ultimate Subaru Message Board

wax and shine

Guest Legacy777

If you get the good zymol.....it kicks rump roast.

I'd recommend www.emmonscoachworks.com It was the cheapest price I found.

You will want to get the hd cleanse as well....as it preps the surface.....you'll need to do this about once every year.....and wax quarterly....or something like that.....

I will be up front....this stuff is not for someone that wants a quick bam, thank you mam wax job.

It does take some time, and you need to follow the steps to the T. The last step really makes the wax job. After you're all done, you let it sit in the sun for 10 min or so to let the wax "cure" or "set" Then buff it out again. To me, it looks best after the very first wash....because some times there are a slight amount of oilly wax or stuff that doesn't come up if you don't buff it very good....but it still looks great. Just think it looks best after 1 wash.

here are some pics of my legacy, just after I've waxed it.

legacywax1.jpg

legacywax2.jpg

legacywax3.jpg

Guest Legacy777

hmmm.....you should be able to get a decent amount....I had my container for at least 2-3 years.....I guess it depends on how many times you wax per year.....I think if you did 4 a year....you would at least get 2 years.....

ummm if I don't hd cleanse.....probably 2-3 if I hustle, and don't go too nuts ;)

Guest subyroo

Hey Josh, like ya NEW car matey!

I also didn't know you were a bit of a "Hard Head", judging by the number of Hard Hats on the hooks you must also have a lot of mates who fall of their bar stools pissed eh!? :evil: :lol:

Guest MailmanX

Dang it, Josh. When you post pictures like that it really ticks me off having to go back to a 56k dial-up modem. No offense at you. Love the pics. I'm just having withdrawals not having my high-speed internet any more.

Michael

Guest Legacy777

subyroo: That's my uncle's shop. They work in bridge construction, so hard hats are mandatory.....hence the reason for all the hard hats ;)

That pic was unfortunately with the snow tires on though...hehehe.

popeye2: I would recommend their base wax....with the subaru paint....you won't really see any difference in goin with some of their more insanely priced wax.

As for application.....if you have a japanese car, you want to get the "japon" wax....regardless of the dark or light colored paint....ie: you don't need to worry about the "creme" or "carbon" wax. They do have one or two other brand specific waxes for some european cars.

Michael.....sorry for the rather large pics.....I feel your pain on the dial up thing......it really sucks......you could always get the direct-PC and always have broadband where ever you go ;) I think they have 2 way satellite now.....I'll try and remember to make smaller pics and clickable links.

Guest Flo4Legacy

Insane! Incredibly! Just can't believe it!

How many days did you spend for this thing?

I also love it when the car is waxed and polished. But I hate to spend plenty of hours for it.

But here you see who loves his car !

Guest Legacy777

You can do all the washing, prep, and waxing in a day if you want.

I usually wash the night before....let sit in garage....if I have one......then wax, and sometimes use the HD cleanse.

Was snoopin around....and stumbled across this stuff www.zainobros.com Reading what they have on their site.....it sounds like really good stuff....didn't get to look at prices though....I'm sure it's a pretty penny.

Guest MKIVSupra

I second the Klasse stuff. I use it on my Legacy and you cant beat the protection and how long it lasts. Unless you plan on waxing a lot I would go with a synthetic. After all, wax melts in the heat of summer and will wash off the next time you wash your car. Unless its a show car, only driven on nice days, I would stay away from carnuba wax. Actually what I do is use Klasse and top it off with a good carnuba wax every so often for an added shine. It also depends on the color of your car and the condition it is in now. Once I use up my Klasse stuff I am going to try Zaino Bros that I use on my black Supra. NOTHING has given my black car such a swirl free deep shine like Zaino bros and I tried just about everything out there. For the price of the real Zymol you can get a few products from Zaino Bros. Zaino Bros is a pita the first time you use it, but after that it is a piece of cake to maintain and well worth it to give it a try. On my Legacy I am more worried about protection, that is why I have not used Zaino Bros on it yet but I think it will work just as good as the Klasse stuff with maybe a better shine.

Guest Legacy777

MKIV,

You think the Zaino Bros stuff doesn't protect as well? I did read some of their stuff on the site...it says it does protect very well.....but sounds for show cars.....and yah...the initial steps to put on sound quite extensive.

Guest GT Wagon

I used Griots on my car and it made it as smooth as a baby's butt! I washed the car and the "clayed" the paint, and that took all the contaminants out of the paint, thus making it smooth and ready for the wax. If you do not do this, then you rub the contaminants all over the car. The result was great, I waxed it, and then it snowed the next day, and the snow did not stick to the car! The stuff is not cheap but it is the best!

The site is Griotsgrage.com

Later,

JB

Guest MKIVSupra

Josh, I was not sure at the time if it protected good, but I think it will, that is why I want to use up the Klasse stuff I have first and then try the Zaino stuff on my Legacy to see how it does. I can't tell from my Supra cause I only drive that on nice days and seldom need to wash it, I usually just use Zaino's quick detailer. It takes about a day to do all the initial stuff and it should be at least in the high 70's or warmer out, otherwise the Zaino stuff will take forever to dry. It's all worth it though.

GT Wagon, yup the clay bars are awesome. I highly recommend a good clay job before any waxing.

Josh, your pics look great! I'm not sure which Zymol you used. I have used the regular stuff and thought it gave a nice shine, but didn't last too long. You talked about a multi-step process so I'm sure you are using their upscale stuff.

I use Zaino and it is awesome. Someone else already posted the website, so you can get details there. The first time you use it, you do need to prep by washing with Dawn (or other grease cutting cleaner), using a clay bar (details make the difference!), and then applying a pre-lock (Z1) before going to the polish (Z5/Z2), but its not a big deal and you only do this on your first application. You do need to wait for the polish to fully dry though before removing it and this can be a pain. I've seen it dry in 15 minutes in the hot summer sun, but its also taken over night in the garage if there's alot of humidity in the air. I have heard they make a new product that acts as an accelerant to the drying time. I haven't tried it yet, but if it works, it will be a big plus.

It works so well and you use so little product that it lasts a long time. I bought Z1, Z2, Z5, Z5, Z6, & Z7 over 2 years ago and use it on 2 cars and still have plenty left. (I already had a clay bar and tire & interior stuff.) It is a synthetic, so it lasts much longer than caranuba.

Its definitely not just for show cars, but I can understand why they use it.

Guest Jejunum

wow ur car looks awsome especially considering its a 90'!

i just got a new black 02 impreza rs and wanted ur opinion on something

people are pushing me to get a bra or some sorta guard for the front to prevent dinging/denting etc...

do u have any issue w/ that

fyi i dont plan on taking it off road more than occasionally...i dont race either :) thnx!

Guest Legacy777

I "personally" don't care for bras too much....the wind deflectors are a little better....but I just don't care for them......they mess with the areodynamics of the car.....this could be me just bein anal.

If you get a bra....you really need to take it off an wash underneith there every so often.....or you will scratch the paint when dirt and crap get down in there.

The wind deflectors are not bad looking, and if you put the rubber bumpie things on, and in the right place, you won't get any rubbing or what not.

Sooo....I'm not sayin they are products that aren't worth getting.....I myself just don't care for them as much....there are others that do, and might be able to give you a little more specific information.

Guest MKIVSupra

I got a bra for a vehicle I owned a few years ago. I did everything it said to do when I installed it. It still scratched. I only used it when I drove back home from college, so it was seldom on for more than a day, and it scratched everytime. I DO NOT recommend them, especially on a black car. Next time I get a brand new vehicle I am going to look into the clear bras. I think those are a great idea.

Guest subyroo

Re the car bra subject - 'If you buy one then don't leave it on after the car gets wet or it will stick to the paint, especially if it dries in the sun. You will also end up with water marks on the paintwork if it doesn't stick.

My Subaru salesman advised me not to get one and if i put the perspex one (clear) on then make sure you regularly clean out the leaves, twigs etc. as they retain moisture and will eventually start the rusting process, same as mud drying on the underside starts the rusting process.

Guest MKIVSupra

subyroo, I am not sure what a perspex bra is. I was talking about the stuff that basically laminates the front of the car. You actually stick in on the car permanently. That is why I said I would do it if I got a new car so there are no blemishes in the paint to seal in... like when I get my STi :)