Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TPS, what a difference a fraction of an inch makes!

Yeah, so I adjusted back to the normal position (you could really tell by the idle rpms), but I was thinking that the ECU was just trippin' out. And it was just that. I reset the ECU and all is well. I think it is actually shifting smoother, though hard to tell bc I went to synthetic blend diff. fluids today, too.

It was easy to take off and look at. On my 96 model it is held to the throttle body by two screws. Once they're off you can flip it around and see the actual springloaded sensor. Mine was a little dusty, but no dirt or anything. Put it back on with the ignition on (not running) and you could actually hear when there was contact with the throttle. It was like a buzzing sound, which was probably just the voltages sent through the system. Two different sounds for the different directions of adjustment. Anyway, you could easily find the normal position (without having marked it, like I should have) by listening for silence. This, of course, is the lazy way. I didn't get into testing the volts by backprobing the terminals. This was all because I was simply curious and have the urge to take things apart all the time.

Peace

Guest PaganQWA

Ok had some time on my hands today and since I dont work till Monday I can afford to tinker :)

I noticed someone previously had marked the TPS and Throttle body in white paint; sweet :) I loosend the screws and started teh car. I slowly adjusted it too and frow and could feel/hear the engine idle change. I could feel a sort of sweet spot as I playd with it but nothing dramatic (like if you were adjusting a distributor)

I set it to where it felt right and looked at the Tach. It was hardly waving up and down at all! So to verify it wasnt just a plecebo I kept tinkering :) The more I played with it the more it seemed like it really didnt matter where I had it :( The Tach needle still waved a little bit (half a MM up or down) and I readjusted the idle a bit so it sits right at 1000 RPM.

I went for a test drive around the block and parking lot. We got about 2 inches of raint yesterday afternoon - evening and then 4 inches of snow early this morning - noon. With the wind there were some 24" drifts in the parking lot! What a blast :lol: Streets were horrible but really all I was testing was how the engine would come down in RPMs when stopping.

It still dips down pretty low when I come to a complete stop but it doesnt even approach dieing. So I guess its a LITTLE better? I dunno really... Now that I think about it there are 4 EJ22's in the U PULL yard maybe I'll get 2 extra and tinker some more.

peace