Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Second inquiry on re-tensioning cargo area privacy screen

Guest gibbons

Sorry to beat an apparently dead horse. I asked this a while ago but didn't really get an answer. One side of our screen on our 95 wagon is slack, so it pulls out funny and droops on that side. Is there a way to re-tension it?

If the answer is no, would someone please post that response and put me out of my misery.

Thanks

Guest RuDrew

Sorry gibbons. I've been busy with other things and forgot to post the information.

Quoted below is the information I was given in a post here.

"There is a possibility that the plastic end is broken (not the outside but the inside). The easiest way to check them is to mount it in the car and work on the driver's side only. Fold the cloth in the middle so the end cap can turn the left side counterclockwise. If the right side moves with it, the spring could be broken or the center rod is caught on one of the end caps. This will require a lot more patience and tools. [RuDrew: I did not have this problem] If you look at the end caps, they are on with a roll pin like the axles but much smaller and may have only one hole to drive it in but not out. Drill a small hole in the end cap to drive the pin out. [RuDrew: I did not have to do this as I recall] You may need to fish the roll pins into position. I do this with a bent paperclip. The position you want is when you can put a punch on the roll pin through the hole and drive the roll pin out of the hole you drilled. With the end caps (both R & L) removed, remove the other roll pins. If you have a solid rod from R to L, the rod will spin but will not come out. If it is two-shafted, place either side in a vice and pull like Hercules. Swap the ends and reattach the spring and put it back together. --Mike S. Wingstuff.com"

From these directions, I was able to fix two of our Subarus' rear covers. That was two years ago, and they both are still working fine. The instructions aren't the most clear as I recall, but I was able to follow what he says for the most part. If you need more help, I may be able to help you, but it's been quite a while since I did ours. My old brain doesn't store exact procedures over the long term as it should.

Andrew