Ultimate Subaru Message Board

90 Legacy AC Controls

Every now and then the controls for AC vents etc seem not to function...no blower. This seems to occur more when the car has been parked for a while. I can play with the buttons and susally it will kick in. Anyone know the cause and solution

• 2 weeks later...
Guest redeyerider

To solve the same problem, I took the dash off (a pain), disconnected the hot/cold cable where it ends down in the passenger footwell removed the cupholders and unscrewed the control box, so I could pull it out far enough to wiggle the main electrical plug in the back of the box - that proved to be the source of the trouble. It needed pressure on it to make a decent connection. Fortunately, it plugs into the back of the box in such a way that you can jam something under the plug (about the thickness of a pencil or pen - in my case an old allen wrench) which should create some upward pressure and renew the connection. It's worked for about two months straight, but I haven't put the dash face back on (another pain) just in case.