Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Need Tips On Setting up a Rear Diff

Guest Huckster

I need to put the ring and pinion out of a 95 Impreza rear diff(4.11) into my 92 SVX LSD rear diff, anybody know any helpful tips to get it clearanced correctly? will the non LSD ring and pinion even fit in the LSD housing?

Somebody please help me, as getting the rear diff in is all I like to get my SVX 5-Speed swap finished!

Thought I'd just swap in the Impreza Unit but the SVX Axles won't work with it.

Guest Huckster

Yeah, all SVX's have a LSD (at least all AWD ones, he,he), but it is a SVX only gear ratio (3.546 if my memory serves me), so it won't work with anything else without changing the ring and pinion( or using a SVX tranny with it, which are harder to find than bigfoot).

But if you find a wrecked SVX AWD it will have a LSD in it, as it was standard equipment.

Maybe I should have kept this to myself and cornered the market on LSD's........Nah

Guest Lewy80DL

Huckster, I'm going to be doing the same thing here soon, but for different reasons. I have been told that all you have to do is pull the carrier from the LSD and replace the ring gear from the carrier in the 4.11. Seems too simple, but I'm sure that is it.

Guest Huckster

Thanks Corky,

But I've taken apart the 2 housings and the 95 Impreza Housing is smaller than the SVX, and the Ring gear has a different bolt pattern, So I have to locate a Legacy 4.11 rear diff(the one in my 91 Wagon would work, but the wife would shoot me!). Anyway I hope to have it together next week, barring anymore set-backs.

Guest Huckster

I've got one located, and will be picking it up tomorrow, then I just have to swap them into my LSD housing and BAM! I'm back in buisness!!

Thanks again,

Guest Adam N.D.J.

Hey Huckster, you got any pics of this? I've thought about doing this if I had the time or money, and really would like to see. Catch ya Laters.

Guest Legacy777

Huckster....

I see from your pics, you have a manual tranny in that SVX?!?!?!

I take it, it was a custom jobber right? How is it holding up, what componants did you change, etc?

I want to swap in a 5 spd into my 90 Legacy, and possible steel the rear A-arms rear diff/driveline as well, and make it AWD.

I would REALLY like to do this, but am curious what I all would need and be getting myself into.

Thanks

Guest Huckster

Hey Josh,

As for componants, I'm using a 5-Speed & shifter & starter out of a 95 Impreza AWD, the rear diff out of a 93 Legacy Wagon(as the Impreza had a smaller housing not compatable with hte SVX axles),the Peddle assembly is a hybrid from an XT-6 & the original SVX setup, witch is using a Cable activated Clutch(much easier to make work in a custom setup)

The flywheel is out of a non-turbo early Legacy.

Had to do a custom crossmember, and relocate the carrier bearing forward 2", and make a 2" extension between the rear diff & the driveshaft(as the 5-Speed is 2" shorter than the auto), I also had to legthen the shifter linkage about 4".

I completely removed the TCU, had to jump the Shift lock wires and the nuetral safety switch wires, so that it would start and run.

AS for how is it holding up, well it is still up on jackstands, as its waiting for me to put the rear end in it.

I have had it started and went through the gears, everything seams to be working fine, I'm pretty excited about getting it on the road(hopefully this week) as it should really run great with a 5-speed and 4.11's(SVX's come with 3.54's)

Wish me luck!

AS I just picked up the rear diff today, and will try to switch the ring and pinion into my LSD rear diff, then put her together, hopefully in the next couple days.

Got my fingers crossed:)

Guest Legacy777

Sounds like quite a project you got there. So other then jumping the saftey neutral switch and shift lock, you didn't do any other ECU swapping? I'm trying to think what would be necessary if I do the swap. The SVX has it's own ECU for the tranny right, TCU? Which is why you didn't have to worry about the ECU? What about kickdown throttle linkage and other stuff like that?

I'm curious to hear how the tranny and rear end holds up. Any reason why you didn't put in a turbo legacy 5-spd? Was the gearing different. I know the turbo legacy has probably one of the stronger transmissions, and rear end setup.

Guest Lewy80DL

Josh, do you have a source for Turbo Legacys??? They are more elusive the an 89 RX 3dr. I'd like to get an engine, tranny and rear end out of one, but all the ones that I have seen are on the east coast and a long way from me shipping wise. I would realy like to find a wrecked one so that I don't mess up a runner.

Guest Huckster

Josh,

the Turbo Legacy's have a hyd. Clutch, which I didn't want to fool with as there isn't a good place to mount the Clutch master cly. the cable is basically hook it up on both ends and it will work, easy to work around things.

As for holding up, I'm not planning on racing it, just driving it, for which they should hold up fine, but will let you know if I rip it out. :)

Cory,

I've got access to a wrecked Tubo Legacy(in KY I could check to see what the engine & tranny & rear diff would cost to get shipped out to the west coast( I think it is an auto though) if you want me to check for you, let me know

Guest Lewy80DL

I have a tranny and rear end from a Legacy (4.11 ratio), both the auto and manual of the turbo has a 3.90 ratio. The gear ratios seem the same in both the manual tranny (turbo and N/A) only the final ration is different. I'm getting a 3.90 VLSD and was going to put the VLSD into the 4.11 differential. I sent an EJ20TT engine to Minnesota a while back, if I had to send it, it would have cost almost $500 to ship. Fortunately we were able to use his company's contarct with a shipper, and the final cost was about $140. So I guess the real determaining factor would be the cost of the engine (hopefully with the ECU) and the shipping. I'm on a tight budget, so costs are very important.

Guest Legacy777

Corky, no I don't have a source for any of the parts yet. I am sorta waiting till I move down to Houston before I do anything, plus the money thing. I'll be a little more settled and have some of my loans paid off. I want to try and get in contact with Cobb Tuning in Dallas, and see if they can help me with stuff, and recommendations. I would like to do what work I can myself, but there are some things I feel hesitant to tackle by myself. Like you I would like to find a wrecked Legacy, possibly even a turbo with good runing gear and tranny. I would like to find a LSD rear end.

On the rear end and gearing, is there a certain gearing 4.11:1 or other that is better or more common?

Guest Lewy80DL

Legacy777, the 4.11 ratio is standard in the non turbos, the turbos have 3.90 ratio, plus at least LSD, and possibly VLSD. This seems to be a common practice for Subaru, for the EA82 series cars, the common ratio was 3.90, but all turbos had 3.70 ratios, some LSD. I really wish I could find something west of the Rockies. Thought I had a line on one in Utah, but that guy never replied to my e-mail. I've been told that there are some up in Canada, in the Vancouver area, but haven't had time to check.

Guest First Outback

Any idea if a Impreza rear diff would bolt up to a '97 Legacy O/B??? I would really like to get a LSD in the back , just dont want to pay the price for one from cusco or someone along those lines. Or if not the whole diff would i be able to swap over the inner workings of it??

later

Brian

Guest Huckster

The Impreza's use a smaller housing than my 91 Legacy or my 92 SVX, but if the you find a LSD that is the same style housing as your original, you can put your ring and pinion gears into the LSD housing, at least that is what I just got through doing.