Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 GL10 Ujoints

Guest Tom

My 1987 GL10 needs the Ujoint(s) changed and my wife hasn't had any luck finding new ones at the auto parts stores. NAPA didn't even have a listing. The car is "shuddering" when I take off from a start and I don't want to drive it until it's fixed. Other than the Subaru dealer, where do you all buy Ujoints? Is there a particular part number I should look for? One last thing, is there a difference in the driveshaft and/or Ujoints for an RX and a GL10? My car has a RX transmission and I don't know if it's just the transmission or the whole drivetrain.

Thanks, Tom

Tom, sorry to say the U joints on the drive shaft are not replacable.

Boneyard driveshaft is one option

There has been talk of replacing them, but the old ones once removed were used to size new ones

Is the tranny a duel range full time RX tranny?

Sure hope somebody has better news

Yes, it's a full-time Dual range 4wd. I can't believe that they aren't replaceable. I'll let everybody know what I find out, but I'm hoping somebody out there has some good news.

you could get them worked on to use replaceable u-joints or have them replaced but I just went down to the yard and got the whole thing for $40 I think. the problem is that they are staked not held in by c-clips.

Guest chef tim

I must concure with everyone else. The best option, IMHO, is the wrecking yard. The next is to have them replaced by a drive line shop. The last time (come to think of it, the first time too) I looked in to this my drive line guy wanted about $125, and they would use a bronco II U-joint. Hope it all comes out good for you, Tim

Guest WAWalker

Rockford part #430-10. Assuming the GL10 has the same shaft as a GL. The caps on this one are 22mm diameter, 58.5mm across measued from ends of caps. If yours is the same size thats the one. I get them from a driveline shop. About $27. Comes with instructions on "disassebly & reassebly of non-rebuildable u-joints".

Guest Nomad267

Correct. I replaced mine (actually, my Dad did). And yes, they came complete with instructions, from Rockford. They also sell them on the 'net.

Actually, what I did, was I took the shaft out of the GL D/R I had and rebuilt IT, then put it into the DL single range. The shafts are exactly the same. Just make sure you mark the shafts and orient the front/back halves the exact way they came out.

Later,

Guest beauregaardhooligan

Must be different than an '84 because AutoDrone had the u-joint. I carried them to a machine shop that specializes in drive-lines and hydraulic hoses. They popped it in for me for $20.

Guest WAWalker

Yes, they are different from an '84. Your '84 has a normal u-joint that in held in by c-clips. '85 on the caps were "staked" in. They are a pain to replace but it's better than the other option, a new drive shaft.

Guest beauregaardhooligan

Curiouser and curiouser.

I couldn't find any c-clips on mine, that's why I took it to the shop. They said they were pressed in.

Guest WAWalker

The c-clips are inside the yoke, not at the ends of the caps. Justed looked at my '85 Hatch, has c-clips, same set up as '84. If it only cost $20 to have them replaced they were not staked in. At a nickle an hour you can't do the staked ones for that.

I've had U joints replaced on two Suby wagons. I had to do some hunting and most shops just wanted to sell new drive shafts. Not sure where you're at, but this is where I get mine done.

Drive Line Service

Boulder, CO

303-447-1641

Talk to Ron. The last time I had one done it was $75.00.

• 3 years later...

Time to resuscitate this thread! :headbang:

I was replacing the transmission mounts in the Soob last night and decided to check out the source of my driving noise. I put her in gear in 4WD on jack stands and lo and behold the rear drive shaft was clanking about and making a ruckus. I usually get a driving noise in 2WD that is worse in 4WD.

I shut everything down and started working the driveshaft around by hand. I noticed some visible play in both the front and rear u-joints, so they clearly both need replacing.

According to this http://www.rockforddriveline.com/Staked%20Ujoints.PDF they don't carry joints for '84 wagons. Has anyone else here replaced the joints on an '84 or earlier model? If so, where did you get the joints and how much of a hassle was it to replace them. I have replaced the u-joints on my Dodge Dakota so I am familiar with the process of pressing them in and out etc.

Thanks!