Ultimate Subaru Message Board

windrow troubles

Guest SubeWitSubs

Guest SubeWitSubs

hey all i have a 91 loyale with power windows. as of late i havn't been able to use the drivers side controller to role up the rear windows at all. i can put down the rear windows but not have them come back up with the drivers side controller, and i can't even put the passenger window down or up anymore. at times the passenger side window won't work also. i tried replacing the controller with one that i got at a pull-a-part and that didn't work. any help would be helpfull thanks.

Andrew

Guest Turbone

You need to pull the motors and clean the brushes and connections. Well at least clean the connections before you resort to pulling the motors out:lol:

Rob

Guest subarustyles

the EXACT same thing is happing on my 88 gl wagon ......

I tried a new drivers control unit and it didn't help...... It may be the grounds?

Guest chef tim

You need to pull out the passenger seat and the door sill plate. Lift up the carpet and you will see a wire junction, one red into three red wires. I will put 98% that those wires are corroded or not connected at all. Just make a new splice and your window problems will be fixed. This is the big voice of experience speaking :) Tim

Guest Brus Brother

90 loyale. Driver controller works fine but passenger side switch only lowers the window. It must be raised using the driver side controller. Any thoughts?

Guest Spiffy

I'm having the same problem with my '92 loyale... I have to tweak the buttons on the master panel to get the rear windows to roll up, it's tricky but it's usually easier than reaching back and using the controls on each door...

I'm gonna try tim's advice and look under the passenger seat for some corroded terminals... it sounds easier than taking off the door panel...

but like I said, if I just tweak the switch to one side it will work, that leads me to believe it's something in the master switch panel and not something further down the line... *shrug*

Guest chef tim

The switches will work intermitantly because they draw enough power to drop the window but not raise it. or visa-versa. I went through heck trying to figure this out, Qman clued me in!!! Later, Tim

Guest Floid

Wiping down the rubber seals with some pure ammonia (50% dilution is probably better, but I'm the lazy type) can soften them up/clean them, which helps if the motors are weak for any reason. I wouldn't do that on the foam stuff around the door edge, though, just the wiper-like rubber. Sounds like the trouble is more severe than that here, but it's a handy tip, works well on new blades, too. (Got it off a pack of Tripleedges we used once, never going to bother with those things again.)

Guest kelowna kid

I would check the wiring harness to the driver`s door. In my experience, wires

are often broken here due to frequent use of that door.

Guest baccaruda

I disassembled the actual switches and cleaned them with emery paper .. they work fine now. I'll remember "cleaning the brushes" and the passenger seat/wires tricks, might come in handy :D but I think it's best to start with what's simplest..

Guest Brus Brother

Heading baccaruda's suggestion learned from Qman, I finally took the door panel off today. 2 screws and a bunch of push in connectors, lift the top over the lip and you are there. Switch still attached to door panel. Quick electrical disconnect from switch. IMPORTANT, now move to a place where you won't lose little parts in a gravel driveway as I did. DOH! Switch comes apart pretty easy and there was carbon buildup on contacts. Light sanding and they are ready to go. If you ignored IMPORTANT above, spend next half hour sifting through gravel and then reassemble parts. Mine was the passenger side switch that was dirty but if you can wiggle your switch and get it to work, my guess is that your contacts need cleaning.

PS After I dropped the two rollers, the size of a sesame seed, I think I recall that Qman also cautioned as above.... but who listens!