Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

front strut top bearings

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_McBrat_*

Guest_McBrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2002 - 08:12 AM

how do you tell if they are bad....?

I've sprayed oil and grease on mine in the past to "loosen them up a bit"

tires were cupped bad at one point. I replaced my front bearings that were getting "loose" after only 15k miles.

I've read in the past that bad struts could make the tires cup.
there's no signs of any leaks.

strut's are stuck in the highest adjusted position too... (one is) so they are all at max....

strut is getting noisy again... rotation at top bearing is choppy and makes a loud noise when it "lets go" from a hangup....

any thoughts on this one?

PS. I'll be driving this beast (82 wagon 4wd) 5k miles in August.....

#2 Guest_Turbone_*

Guest_Turbone_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2002 - 12:07 PM

I hope you replace the strut caps before you come out Mick. You do have some laying around, no? Have you jacked up the front end and moved the tires back/forth to thier full range?
Rob

#3 Guest_McBrat_*

Guest_McBrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2002 - 01:36 PM

yeah Rob, that's how I found it was the strut caps that were stuttering and making that noise. all I did was put PB blaster on 'em and it cleared up, but it's starting to do it again...

just need to decide if I replace the whole works so I can lower the suspension down, or just replace the caps....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users