Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi , I have a problem transmission that I need help to diagnose, here is the scoop.

Has clean fluid and screen, I tested all the sols and sensors inside and they had the proper ohms. I tried a known good computer.

Here are the symptoms:

Put it in D it starts off in 2nd gear and will shift to 3rd, no 4th gear

Put it in 3 it starts off in 2nd gear and will shift to 3rd.

Put it in 2 it "locks up" and will move forward slightly with much throttle.

Put it in r it will back up fine.

Basically no 1st gear and no 4th gear.

Any Help on this , THANKS!

Hi,

I just want to bump this up again , Any Ideas to fix it ???

Thanks !

Hi , I have a problem transmission that I need help to diagnose, here is the scoop.

Has clean fluid and screen, I tested all the sols and sensors inside and they had the proper ohms. I tried a known good computer.

Here are the symptoms:

Put it in D it starts off in 2nd gear and will shift to 3rd, no 4th gear

Put it in 3 it starts off in 2nd gear and will shift to 3rd.

Put it in 2 it "locks up" and will move forward slightly with much throttle.

Put it in r it will back up fine.

Basically no 1st gear and no 4th gear.

Any Help on this , THANKS!

Hi, It is a 88 xt6 / awd auto trans. 4speeds . It does not have a 1 position, has:

D, 3, 2, . It does not go into 1st gear anytime from any position, but will start off in 2nd gear from any of these , and shift to 3rd , but not 4th in D .

If you put it in 2 , it will sort of lock , it is as if the hand brake is set tight, if you give it heavy throttle it will move forward slightly though . As I said the solinoids check to have the proper ohms resistance as do the other sensors in there . Thanks for any help you might have .

Can you provide a little more information on the car, model, etc.

Does your gear selector have a 1 position? What happens when you put it in the 1 position?

What do you mean it "locks up" when you put in 2nd?

Hi, It is a 88 xt6 / awd auto trans. 4speeds . It does not have a 1 position, has:

D, 3, 2, . It does not go into 1st gear anytime from any position, but will start off in 2nd gear from any of these , and shift to 3rd , but not 4th in D .

If you put it in 2 , it will sort of lock , it is as if the hand brake is set tight, if you give it heavy throttle it will move forward slightly though . As I said the solinoids check to have the proper ohms resistance as do the other sensors in there . Thanks for any help you might have .

I will assume that this is a 4EAT... does it have a "1st HOLD" button next to the "2" on shifter console? (Not too important to me, but might help others...)

Did this problem come on suddenly, gradually, or is this car new to you so you don't know? Did you change the fluid recently, and if so, what was its condition? Could be gunk left in the shifter valvebody, could be solenoids not working properly. *Might* be a band or brake stuck on... didn't follow through your desciption enough to see if this made sense.

You tested the resistance of the solenoids, but did you test to see if they actually move their actuator/pin/whatever?

Anyway, my guess is that there is something gumming up the valvebody and/or solenoids. But it IS just a guess.