Ultimate Subaru Message Board

5 speeds

Guest JeffTara

Guest JeffTara

Could anyone tell me if you can fit a 5 speed,in a 1984 GL Wagen 4WD? I've heard the hatchbacks (to 1989) came with 5 speeds, but I haven't seen one and weren't they 2WD 5 speeds?

Cars that feature the EA81 engine and 4x4 had a hi/lo system and only 4 speeds if a stick. If the car was 2wd then it had a 5speed. Cars with the EA82 can have 5 speeds and be 4x4 though. Apparently the hatchbacks like mine were available until 89, but ive never seen one that was newer than an 86 around. Mine is an 86 4x4 with the 4speed man trans and hi/lo. Hope this helps SHAWN

Guest richierich

I personally have only seen the hatchbacks until 87, but they had them on there line up. The reason is that a certain percentage of your cars have to get a certain gas mileage, so in 88 and 89 they were stripped models some even with 1600. I have seen in the books that there are 88 brats but i never have seen them.

Guest JeffTara

OK, let me ask if a newer 5 speed tranny with 4WD would fit in a 84 and older Ru and would the engine putout enough HP? Cause I've heard the 1800 pushrod engine doesn't have enough juice. Just sometimes I wish our Subaru had a 5 speed.

Guest Adam N.D.J.

I know all bout the trannie swap, been there and done that, the EA82 5spd hi/lo, was an AWD tranny, you can put it into an EA81 powered car, I put one into my 82 Brat, BUT, the engine I had was modified cause the stock 81's Don't put out enough power to run it nominally, [lus in putting it in you have to swap some of the wireing, and put an LSD in the rear or you'll burn out the diffs. Hope this helps ya, if yer still considering the swap I can give you some of the details on it. Catch ya laters.

Guest richierich

I think that doing a tran swap in a brat is a great idea, but i do not suggest it for a wagon, if you want a good wagon look for a low mileage 87 with carb or FI with dual range 4wd with a good body and low miles. It will probably a little more money but alot less hassles.

Guest JeffTara

Yes if you have any details on the tranny swap email me at jeff_tarantino@juno.com. richierich- My brother had a 88 GL wagen with FI and it was nothing but problems. Not like a good carbed pushrod engine. Was 87 a good year? I'm of the opinion that 84 and older are the best. Convince me...