Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea-82 head/block interchange options.

Guest szigi

used ea-82 heads usually have spider cracks and what not. will machine shops port and polish heads that have such cracks? or would they want you to buy brand new heads? also, an ea-82 engine block, is interchangeable throughout 85-88. correct? same thing with the disty, right, if i go spfi, then i need a disty from an spfi donor, carbed = carbed disty? i've followed some of the posts about rebuilding ea-82's, and think i'd maybe like to try it myself. once the block is rebuilt, new belts on, i could then choose to either put the motor into a carbed or spfi, dependent on which manifold i mount, correct? only other thing that i could think of being different might be the water pump. why do i ask? i'm thinking of picking up an ea-82 block from an 86 and rebuiding it for my 88 spfi. compression was 60 psi on #1 cylinder, 160 @ #3, 200 for #2 & #4. looking for any input. john

Guest houston6

John,

You are on the right track. Yes, the block in interchangeble. Heads are different depending on the type of manifold as you stated. If you need heads for the MPFI, I have them as well as the complete intake. I will check them for the bridging cracks. If you are interested, I will give you a fair price. Rebuilt ones will cost you upwards of $300+ per pair. I don't have any SPFI or carbed heads available, but the carbed ones will work for the SPFI. All you have to do is block off the small ports (dime size) on the side of the exhaust port. Good luck on your endeavors. Keep posting new questions as they arise under new topics.

Les

Guest ccrinc

The blocks are interchangeable between carb/SPI or turbo/MPI. SPI and MPI/Turbo blocks are not interchangeable. Also, the pistons are different for carb, SPI, and turbo. The MPI is turbo with SPI pistons.

You can convert carb heads to SPI and vice versa.

My listing of distributors shows no less than 12 different models, specific to year, 2x or 4x, manual or automatic tranny. (Like, for instance, '87 is pretty much one-year-only).

However, an EA82 SPI is the same from '85-'93. Same goes for carb '85-'89. The pistons in the turbo changed 3 times: '85-86, '87, '88 and up.

I wouldn't trust a machine shop who would port and polish heads with any cracks. That puts a lot more stress on them, and if they're already stressed, you're definitely looking at a nervous breakdown, figuratively speaking.

Other stuff like oil pump, water pump, etc, are one-size-fits-all EA82. If you're going to rebuild yourself, try to either get turbo rod and main bearings or use the ones from the EA81 engines. They're heavier and last lots longer.

Hope this helps some :)

Emily

www.ccrengines.com