Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Used Engine Websites??

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Skip_*

Guest_Skip_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 04:57 AM

I am concidering doin a motor swap in my 87 turbo wagon.
Does anybody have phone numbers or websites for people offering used low mileage jap motors?
Sunshine Motors? rings a bell.
I'm looking for a 90 or so EA 82T
Thanks for the help

#2 Guest_Lewy80DL_*

Guest_Lewy80DL_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 08:08 AM

I think I send out that info awhile ago with a post on EJ20 turbos. I'm thinking is was about two weeks ago. I think one of them was on the east coast.

#3 Guest_Mike W_*

Guest_Mike W_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 09:37 AM

Hi Skip. How about Rising Sun, was that it? www.risingsunengines.com/
www.Nippon-motors.com/prices.htm I bookmarked this site some time ago when a board member posted that he was happy with the engine he got and the price.

#4 Guest_lenhorn_*

Guest_lenhorn_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 11:39 AM

www.actionsalvage.com/engine/UsedEngineSubaru.asp

www.angelfire.com/biz/japaneseengines/

www.asapmotors.com/

www.rsengines.com

www.midwest-engine.com

www.cjee.com

www.ibarney.com

www.importengines.com/

www.usedengine.com/

www.ctintl.com

miva.ajapengine.com/Merch...erchant.mv

www.japaneseenginesinc.com

www.a1engines.com

www.centralcoastusedjapaneseengines.com

www.jkjapaneseengines.com

www.allengine.com

www.soshinusa.com

www.cnsmotors.com

#5 Guest_McBrat_*

Guest_McBrat_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 12:17 PM

anybody have knowledge of how many miles is "low".

#6 Guest_bythesea_*

Guest_bythesea_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 12:31 PM

Heres one for heads if you don't need a new bottom end. Just a link I got a long while back so no recomendation either way.
www.aluminumheads.com/Subaru.html

#7 Guest_Lewy80DL_*

Guest_Lewy80DL_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 01:17 PM

McBrat, these engine are usually between 35,000 mile and 50,000 miles. The one I just bought, the EJ20TT comes with a 1 years replacement warrantee, but some places only warrantee for 6 months.

#8 Guest_Lewy80DL_*

Guest_Lewy80DL_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 01:25 PM

McBrat, these engine are usually between 35,000 mile and 50,000 miles. The one I just bought, the EJ20TT comes with a 1 years replacement warrantee, but some places only warrantee for 6 months. Also, the list that they show of engines may not be a complete list, you'll need to call them to check. While I was at a locate place, they were unloading a container of engines, one was an EA71, they also had several EJ25 quad cams.

#9 Guest_Brandon489_*

Guest_Brandon489_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 01:26 PM

One testimonial:

DO NOT USE -ASAP MOTORS- !!!!

Before I had my Subaru, I had a 1973 BMW Bavaria. I cracked a ring in the stock 3.0L I6, so I decided to put a 3.5L out of a later model BMW. I ordered it through ASAP Motors, and it was the biggest ficaso ever.

I paid for the engine on a credit card, and they said that it had already passed a leak-down test, and that they would put it on a semi and ship it to Washington that day.

I took my car to the guy who was going to help me swap the engine out, and we pulled the 3.0 out, waiting for arrival of the 3.5. 10 days later I called back, letting them know that the engine had not show up. After talking to 3 people, it was then determined that the engine did not pass the leak-down test, they had not sent it out, and had not other 3.5's available.

Cool. I got a car, with an engine pulled, at my friends place, and nothing to stuff back in it. Next day they call back saying that they got their hands on another, and that they would ship it right out. I asked them how well the cylinders pressure during the leak-down, or what they read on a compression test, but they said that they did not have that information.

I got the engine a couple of days later, and put it in. Ran like crap, had scarring on the cam, the valve stem seals leaked, so it smoked on start-up.

Bottom line, I would steer you away if I could.

$.02

Brandon

#10 Guest_theshatt_*

Guest_theshatt_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 March 2001 - 09:59 PM

How about that place in Colorado that builds the airplane motors? I can't remember the name, but I did get a quote of $850 for a rebuilt EA-81 w/ a 3yr/30k warrantee. That's about what the 'yards want for junker motors in this neck of the woods!
theshatt

#11 Guest_Skip_*

Guest_Skip_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 March 2001 - 06:07 AM

Thanks guys for all the sites, I'm compiling a list of places/ prices and will post when through
( some site want to email quotes ie Rising Sun)
May archive the list for future ref.- so far prices range from 500 to 1200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users