Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Models have the LSD 1

Guest BARUSKI

Guest BARUSKI

do all xt tourbo 4 x4 have lsd rear ends? this one has the rear end in it and it is a 3.7 rear end i saw the stamp but the cross member is covering the top half of the pumpkin. and i cant see if there is a LSD stamp on it. i tried spining the wheels but the brakes are frozen. any suggestions? thanks.

Guest Lewy80DL

BARUSKI, you would have known it was LSD if you could see the label that shows the ratio. The labels for the non-lsds are smaller and give the bare minimum of infromation, the LSD label is larger and has big letters that say LSD to the left of the ratio. If you can get a Factory Service Manual (FSM) there are pictires of the different labels in there.

Guest Mike W

It seems like they must have been an option or perhaps part of certain option packages. I've looked at a lot of fully loaded turbo GL10 sedans and XTs and they are indeed rare. The only car that should have come with them is the RX and 91-92 Legacy turbo, all the others are a maybe. How about those stories of shop mechanics actually stealing them off of customers cars. Man that'd piss me off if I had my car in for brakes or something and weeks later noticed my LSD was gone and an open diff was where it used to be!

Guest ShawnW

The only thing I have found that narrows the search down is a Turbo but certainly every turbo doesnt have the LSD.

My 86 XT 4wd Turbo has a 3.70

My 84 Turbo (not sure if ANY of the 84 models really ever came from the factory with a LSD) has a 3.70.

The reason I say the turbo has a higher likelyhood is the gear ratio on a majority of LSD's is 3.70. Hardly any 3.90's exist except what was created/regeared. The turbo's tended to have a 3.70 tranny.

Yes ALL RX's have the LSD. 2 and 4 door.

Guest McBrat

I know welding is an option if it's strictly off-road.

How do you re-gear a 3.700 to make it a 3.900

I've got a spare 3.900 open, now I just need a LSD...

Guest Mike W

When Qman showed me the ring gear swap proceedure it wasn't all that difficult. This is probably because he did amost all the work and I watched. Since I was mostly just standing there I took pictures hoping to one day make an illustrated guide for other folks doing the swap. Well it hasn't happened. So now many months later I finally have the pictures developed and just need to scan them and try to remember how the proceedure went. Lets see how I do at remembering. If I have this all bungled up somebody please correct me.

The basic idea is to take apart both diffs keeping all the components clean and with the diff they came from. Then you remove the ring gears from both diffs and swap them so you end up with the 3:9 ring gear on the LSD assembly. Once the LSD assy is mated to the 3:9 ring gear you then need to stuff them back into the 3:9 diff case and this is where you need to get out the power tools. The LSD assembly is a bit bigger than the open diff assy. What you do is look at the inside of the 3:7 diff case to see how Subaru carved away a bit of the case to allow the LSD guts to fit in there. Carve away a bit of steel on the 3:9 case and you're ready to put those LSD guts in there...and it's still a very tight fit. I used a 4" angle grinder to make quick work of the metal removal. The hard part is not getting any of the metal chips and junk into the ring gear. Use whatever method you like just keep it clean in there and then clean it some more with brake cleaner when you're done. Reinstall the stub axles and you should be done. The bolts on the ring gear and stub axle all get red locktite. Replacing the side seals is optional but recommended.

Special tools needed:

*Star socket for the stub axle bolts...is it a T-10?

*Large bench vise for holding the diff assemblies while removing the ring gears.

*Die grinder or angle grinder.

Ok, so what did I leave out or get mixed up? Confusing if you haven't already done it yourself?