Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tranny/clutch (?) noise

Guest Mike W

Well after being lazy and taking the summer off from dealing with my old car, it seems to be trying to get my attention and demand that I deal with a growing list of problems. Here's it's latest way of getting my attention: Vehicle: '83 GL 4 spd, 4x4 wagon. Symptom: With vehicle at a stop, Trans in "Neautral" and clutch pedal depressed... no noise. Let out the clutch (still in neutral) and a dull, low frequency noise/vibration is heard and felt. Noise speeds up and slows down with change in engine rpm's. Any ideas about the noise??? Probably not related, but my first gear Syncos must be getting tired, downshifting to first is getting challenging. I've heard of putting Rislone(sp?) in the tranny to help worn syncos... Any first hand experience or any better ideas?

I dont recommend using 1st gear to slow down. it seems like more wear than good. Ill replace brakes b4 i will be happy doing a clutch job. I use my gears to go not really too much to stop. Getting off the freeway i will but otherwise i dont use it and when i do i do it realllllly gently. Just my 2 cents, and maybe a clutch cable or adjustment is in order? SHAWNW

Guest john long

I've never seen the inside of a Subaru manual transmission, but I suspect the input shaft has a rather large bearing, which may be failing, which in turn will produce the sound you are describing. A throwout bearing that has seen better days is also a possibility. Good luck...john

Guess I shouldn't have said downshift, 'cause that implies using engine to slow down. I don't think I EVER down shift to first to slow down and if I ever do in it any other gear I certainly try to be gentle with the old gal. The occasions when I do shift down to first from second are maybe climbing hills in the mountains when the route steepens or sometimes I'll try to go down to first when _coasting_ up to a red stop light with the clutch in. I'm hoping the noise will be something fairly painless like tightening clutch cable, but fear that it could be like you suggest, the throw-out or input bearing or some other nasty. Thanks guys!

Chances are it isn't your T/O bearing as when your clutch is engaged going down the road that bearing has no load on it. I hate to say this but, I think it is you pressure plate telling you it to is getting tired.