Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

- - - - -

Horn relay

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_qman_*

Guest_qman_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 September 1999 - 11:24 PM

Does anyone know if an '86 GL-10 has a horn relay. If so, where the heck is it? My horn is not working properly. When I try to use the horn it sounds like the roadrunner, or it doesn't do anything at all.

#2 Guest_ShawnW_*

Guest_ShawnW_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 1999 - 12:04 AM

Are both of your horns working? There are two on many models, and one not working and another rusted or siezed and barely working does sound kinda like a near dead bird...:->> GOOD LUCK? SHAWN

#3 Guest_Skip_*

Guest_Skip_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 1999 - 05:41 AM

service manual I have for an 89, supposed to be the same says dealer, shows no horn relay, sounds like the horns be kaput. Follow Shawn's advise and get new ones. I've read where they are mounted behind the bumper and you have to remove it to get at them so mount the new ones eleswhere. I'd get some off an old caddy,& use a relay.If you dont feel comfoftable wiring it --ask.

#4 Guest_qman_*

Guest_qman_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 1999 - 11:03 AM

I replaced R/H horn already. I will try the L/H next I guess. The horns can be re placed by removing the turn signal lense assy and accessing the horn from that hole. you don't need to pull the whole bumper. Let you know what happens.

#5 Guest_bratsrus1_*

Guest_bratsrus1_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 1999 - 10:06 PM

Hi Gman I have a 86 factory manaul and it shows that your car does not have a horn relay. All it shows that it's got is a horn switch in the steering wheel and goes to the hi and low horn,thats all. Thanks Jerry

#6 Guest_richierich_*

Guest_richierich_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 1999 - 10:22 PM

There are two styles of bumpers 1) all you have to do is remove the lense and it is a piece of cake 2) the other one is a piece of _hit and it is very hard to get to. One choice is to remove the bumper or you can remove the headlight I perfer the latter, but remove the lense first just in case. Also did you know that some models of subarus have the cruise grounded to the horn so if you horn is broken or improperly grounded you cruise will only work intermently.

#7 Guest_qman_*

Guest_qman_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 September 1999 - 10:09 AM

Thanks for the advise everyone. I tell everyone that asks why do I buy and drive Subes that the engineering is good and that the cars are actually pretty easy to work on. For example, I can have the motor sitting on the ground in about an hour (try that with a small block Chevy or Ford). Then I hear that the cruise can fail because of a bad horn. I guess all manufacturers had the engineering groups working on Mondays too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users