Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Fusible Link Tip.

Guest bythesea

Guest bythesea

So as usual this comes from experience, recent, last night to be exact. When you're flying down the highway at 85 + and your car just stops running all at once and nothing works but the hazard lights. Check your fusible links. If the black one is blown disconnect the heavy single lead from the alternator before putting in a replacement. With all loads switched off try sparking the lead to it's attachment lug, get a big spark? Thats your problem. Alternator is shorting to ground. Iv'e also had this occur where it didn't blow the link in an 86. Just turned the alternator into a heating element, that would audibly burn flesh like a hot frying pan! If all this happens at night like it did for me then having a full set of spare fusible links and a really BIG flashlight in the car will get you to the nearest parts store. Nest time you're at the junk yard get a set or two from some wrecks and throw em in the glove box. Black is the one effected but you can use red or green in it's place for a time if you blow your spare black like I did. Last thing. I must be getting old. It took a full 8 minutes to change the alternator, but two minutes was used walking into the store to get my core refund.LOL

Guest moosens

Brad,Did you get my phone message?Call me if you have time.I was wondering what you have for spare EA82's.Just sold one on Sunday and need one on Thursday.Murphy's Law?

Good Tip!

Wish I would have had one of those the other day.

Has anyone found a good replacement for fusable links, can you get them from the dealership? Will a fusible link out of an 84 work on an 81. 81's have the fusable link bilt into the wires going from positive batt connection to the car. And 84 have the links in like a fuse box. Guess I will just have to get one and test it.