Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone!

During a rountine fluid check I discovered that the coolant in my overflow tank is almost completey clear. It's 50% Castrol antifreeze and 50% pure water. It was very blue when I poured it all in about 3000 miles ago. I haven't opened the rad to check the colour in there, it's too dark outside right now.

The coolant level is perfect, it's the colour that has faded. Shell's 50/50 mix which I used to use never did this.

What's up with that?

Yeah, I just checked inside the rad, and that is losing color too. Wierd. You would think Castrol could do better.

No additives. I am not an additive kinda guy, I trust the chemists to make a good product from the outset. The only thing I ever add to anything is RedeX injector cleaner to my gasoline.

Spoke to a chemist friend of mine and he immediately suggested that the coolant must have changed PH value, and therefore changed color.

PANIC!!! Is my cooling system full of acid?

I gave him samples of unused mix and some of the mix from my engine.

New PH 8.3

Used PH 7.7

So, it's a sure sign that the coolant is "wearing out". By the way, checking the mileage in my logbook, it's actually 6500 miles since I replace the coolant, or 3½ months.

Panic is over, but I am gonna change the coolant soon, it makes me worry that the color is fading. By the way, adjusting the PH back up on the used coolant did NOT bring back the color, so the dye is gone forever.

No additives. I am not an additive kinda guy, I trust the chemists to make a good product from the outset.

I meant the additives already in the coolant. If you ph is way off, then I guess it needs to be changed regardless.