Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low Oil pressure????

Guest oregonloyale

Guest oregonloyale

My 92 ea82 Loyale has almost no Oil pressure when its Idling , but when you give it gas I.e. driving down the road It has about 45 psi , so the gauge says. My compression in the cylinders at 3 starter cranks to check is an average of 9.5 psi.

is the compression good and is the oil pressure normal. I have the normal subie valve clatter and have had since about 50k . Im not so worried about the clatter but if the oil pre. is low maybe thats part of the reason for my clatter?

Guest GeneralDisorder

low OP is part of the cause for your valve ticking. The lifters are fully pumped up. Re-seal the oil pump, and you'll be good for OP. As for compression, it's not so much how much pressure it has, but how close the cylinders are to one another. Too much variation is bad.

GD

Guest tomrhere

The dash gauges are really not to accurate, as has been said on this board many times. At idle, warm engine, the oil pressure is about 10psi, which isn't real far from the bottom of the gauge. I've got about 1200 miles on my EA-82 since putting in new pump. Have about 55psi on the stock gauge, running at 65mph down the road. Needle is about 2 widths of same from bottom of gauge at idle on warm engine. Thinking that either a new pump, or a re-seal of the one you have is in order. My lifters still rattled after I got the engine in and running. But after running for about 30 minutes, they started to quiet down, nice and quiet now. I'm also running Mobil 1 Synthetic 15W50 oil. Just some thoughts.....Tom

Guest thebard17

I've noticed the same in my '92 Loyale... at a warmed-up idle, the oil pressure sits within a couple widths of itself off of zero. On the highway, warmed up, she sits about 45-50 psi.

My lifters aren't clicking either... Let me get the driveshaft on the right front fixed first (scheduled to be delivered on Aug. 11th), my cob job on the exhaust to be fixed relatively permanently, and the body rust knocked off and filled in. If the lifters are clicking by then, I'll see about the oil pump :eek:

Guest northguy

I had concerns about my oil pressure. I changed the sending unit to the correct one (it had one from a different subie on it), and put in 10w40 and the pressure is now between 50 and 70. I don't know what the weather has been like where you live, but the heat of everywhere else is likely to thin down the viscosity of oil this summer. Good luck with yours.