Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quick Question

I just got done setting my engine back into my 85 GL-10 after a head gasket job. Got confused when getting the distribtor back in but all when well. She started like crap, still that was a good thing - she started. I yanked out the distributor again and set the crack the 0 deg on the first cyl. Now that the timimg should be better the engine won't fire. I hooked up a timing light and cranked the engine, nothing... So here is the question: Should there be a link between the top "pick" metal and the metal inside the rotor, the plate that connects to the distributor? I checked for ohms and there is not a connection.

Are you sure you are at TDC on #1? where are you checking your spark? from the coil or from a spark plug wire? unless you rebuilt your disty, everything should work. If you are 180-degrees off and you are checking a sprark plug wire with a timing light you will not get a pulse. As you have done the heads, it might be a good idea to convert to SPFI and be done with the carb system in the future. I am sorry but I cannot remember what the continuities should be, but if you did not mess with the disty, it should still be good :)

Are you sure you are at TDC on #1? where are you checking your spark? from the coil or from a spark plug wire? unless you rebuilt your disty, everything should work. If you are 180-degrees off and you are checking a sprark plug wire with a timing light you will not get a pulse. As you have done the heads, it might be a good idea to convert to SPFI and be done with the carb system in the future. I am sorry but I cannot remember what the continuities should be, but if you did not mess with the disty, it should still be good :)

you are probobly 180 off. remember, there are 2 crank rotations for every one cam rotation.

to double check the passenger side cam dot will be pointing around 10 o clock position at odeg tdc