Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I haven't had my crossbars off, but I've had good luck locking threaded inserts in place with superglue. The runny kind wicks into the threads better. I've also used it as a thread locker, it works well. The bigger problem is when the threaded insert corrodes to the screw, and spins free in the roofrack. That'd be sawzall time.

It is spinning free in the roofrack - that's the problem

Gil

Perhaps I misunderstood, I thought you were trying to put the rack together. If the threaded inserts are spinning free when you try to take it apart you'll need more creative solutions to save it. Drilling the stuck screw out would be a start, but you'll need to hold it from turning to drill it. I'd suggest using a prick punch to make a dent in the head near the edge. Then hold the head from spinning with the prick punch in the dent, and drill. It'll be a two person job unless you're very talented. Or I wouldn't hesitate to grind away some of the plastic around the head to hold it with a vice-grip. Once the head is off you'll still have a stud sticking out, you may need to flex the rails or cross-bar to get them apart. It looks like it's all screwed together and screwed to the roof, you could take it apart. Once you have them apart you'll have to see what access you have to the insert, maybe you can get it locked in or replace it. Good luck!

I want to put the crossbars in, not take them out. But first I need to remove the screws and I can't because their sockets are turning.

Gil

That's the trouble with internet advice, the responses can never be better than the description of the problem. I just took my rack apart for you, it looks like the threaded inserts stick out enought to grab them with a vice-grips. I'd squirt a good penetrating oil into the threads, PB Blaster is my choice, let it sit overnight. Grab the tip of the insert with vice-grips, turn the screw out. Now you need to secure that threaded insert. It looks like my rack is screwed together, you could take it apart and access the inserts from the inside. The superglue trick might work from inside or outside, or you could try a good two-part epoxy on the inside. Replace those screws with stainless bolts, and use anti-sieze on them, there's some serious corrosion going on in there.